This is a pretty basic recipe that is healthy, fresh and quick to make. This is a low-carb recipe and is a great meal or appetizer.
Thai Beef Wraps
1 lb ground beef
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 red pepper
1 lime, sliced
1 bunch of cilantro (rinsed and cut)
1 bunch of mint (rinsed and cut)
3 scallions sliced
2 tbsp chopped ginger
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 peeled cucumber
12 Boston lettuce leaves (or any other of your choosing), rinsed and dried thoroughly
1 tsp sesame oil
3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1. Prepare a large skillet, and over medium heat, warm up the vegetable oil.
- 2. Add ground beef and cook between 5 and 6 minutes (or until desired)
- 3. Add the red pepper, garlic, ginger, scallion, sugar and pepper flakes and cook an additional 5 minutes. Stir this mixture occasionally.
- 4. Turn off heat and add soy sauce and sesame oil
- 5. Prepare for eating by placing ¼ of the beef mixture into a Boston leaf. Top it with cucumber, mint and cilantro
- 6. Add lime juice to taste
Another easy meal to prepare in less than 30 minutes is a Coconut Curry. This is great for busy individuals who crave a home cooked meal without having to slave over the stove.
Ingredients to serve 2-4 people
1 tsp coconut oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
½ onion, chopped
13.5 oz of coconut milk
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1tbsp maple syrup (any variety you prefer)
½ tsp salt
1 large sweet potato, chopped
2 C water
1 C. quinoa
1 lb of vegetable chopped (any selection and combination you like)
- 1. Prepare Quinoa by placing the 2 C water into a saucepan and add in the quinoa. Bring water to a boil. Once boiling, place lid on pot, and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes
- 2. Next, melt coconut oil over medium heat.
- 3. In the same pan sauté the garlic and onions until they appear transparent (roughly for about 5 minutes)
- 4. Combine the coconut milk, tamari, syrup, curry powder, and salt with the onions and garlic. Whisk to combine all ingredients
- 5. Bring the sauce to a light simmer and start to add the sweet potatoes. Cover pan and let the sweet potatoes cook in the sauce for 5 minutes.
- 6. Add the rest of the vegetables and whisk until fully mixed in the sauce. Recover pan and allow them to fully cook.
- 7. On a dish, place the cooked quinoa at the bottom and top it with the vegetable and curry sauce.
Tom Yum Soup
Another favorite Thai recipe for colder evenings is Tom Yum Soup. This is a simple and easy recipe, that will guarantee to warm you up! I found a basic Tom Yum soup recipe online, but wanted to add a bit more flavor to it, so this is the result.
This recipe is to serve 4
5 C reduced sodium chicken stock
2 cooked chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1 stalk lemongrass cut into rounds
1″ fresh ginger root, sliced
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp sliced red pepper (or any hot pepper of your liking)
1 ½ C. sliced shitake mushrooms
¾ C coconut milk
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp cilantro (for topping)
- 1. In a large pot, add chicken stock, lemongrass, ginger root, garlic and hot, red pepper
- 2. Bring this to a simmer for about 5 minutes
- 3. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer an additional minute
- 4. Serve into bowls and top with the fresh cilantro and any other toppings of your preference.