By Maeve Nicholson, Condé Nast Traveler
Legendary designer Nanette Lepore’s carry-on bag is, unsurprisingly, just as fun and colorful as her eponymous clothing line. She totes around a hodgepodge of items, including an embroidered shawl from a souk in Istanbul, a sketchbook and pencils, and a portable music player in order to “bring the dance party.” Lepore’s carry-on also reflects an “always be prepared” attitude that’s necessary while traveling. Read on for the must-have items she keeps in her tote.
1. A printed Nanette Lepore carry-on.
2. The embroidered shawl is from a souk in Istanbul. It’s the perfect artisanal wrap; it feels like home away from home.
3. Nanette Lepore swimsuit. My new rule to live by: always have a day’s worth of clothing in your carry on, especially a bikini if you’re heading to a tropical location.
4. Sketchbook and Castell-Faber pencil. I love to keep an illustrated journal when I travel. On one trip with six of us, we passed it around and everyone contributed sketches and memories. It was a great souvenir.
5. It’s fun to change up my look so I always carry two pairs of sunglasses.
6. Roma Industries made a cool custom hologram passport holder for me. But I’m most excited that I finally have my Global Entry Card. I can’t wait to use it!
7. I never leave home without my vintage anchor necklace. This summer, I’m loving my Jamaican beaded bracelets.
8. My husband and I love to bring the dance party with us so we always have a portable music player to blast our favorite songs.
9. I always like to research where I’m headed next; this time it’s Sardinia. I’m also rereading all my favorite Gabriel Garcia Marquez books since his passing. I loved him in college.
10. I need to stay hydrated when I fly so I pack lots of oils and remedies, including Tata Harper Rejuvenating Face Oil; Ortigia Fico d’India Body Lotion; Origins No Puffery Eye Treatment; Moroccanoil® Treatment; and Origins Plantscription Youth-renewing face oil.
More from Condé Nast Traveler:
The Friendliest and Unfriendliest U.S. Cities
The Best Cruises in the World
Mind Blowing Surf Photos
How To Occupy Kids During a Layover or Delay