I’m not a fan of eating out, to be honest. My parents both worked and barely ever cooked homemade meals. Take-out was a staple part of our diet. So, when I grew up and started my own family, I had a novelty for home cooked meals and was determined to make sure my family had tasty, hearty meals from home.
Occasionally, I found myself needing a break or wanting a bit of a treat without cooking from home. The local take out joints in my area were dismal. After eating and getting sick off of many of the well known chain’s food, I decided I had to settle for easier home cooked foods when I wanted a break.
This was until I found out about Sweet Tomatoes. It is a buffet style restaurant with a healthy/vegetarian twist to it. Several have been popping up in major cities around the area as a healthy alternative to heavy, meaty and fatty fast food dining. I’ve been dining there for over 5 years now. Here are five things I enjoy about Sweet Tomatoes.
1. Kid friendly. I put this at the top of my list because as a mom, it can be a grueling experience going to sit down for a nice meal only to realize your kids shouldn’t be there. The atmosphere is loud and noisy and active. The seats are evenly spaced so you don’t disturb the patron next to you. Also, there are no waiters to annoy. Diners are constantly moving back and forth from their seats to get food. So no one’s questioning your kids movements.
2. Hefty salad bar. Food-wise, the main thing I love about Sweet Tomatoes is there salad bar. It is huge and there is such a good variety of salad toppings and greens for you to choose from. A simple salad can easily become a meal with all of the toppings that they offer you.
3. Simple, good food. For my family, going to a typical restaurant means my kids will not usually want to eat. Menus can be so complicated while offering a restrictive selection of food. We can sometimes spend several minutes trying to figure out the menu only to end up ordering a “gourmet” hamburger. Sweet Tomatoes offers an array of normal, homes style foods that you’re most likely to eat. They don’t try to be stuffy by offering foods that you’ve never heard of. Instead, they serve hearty, healthy and down-to-earth food that you’re sure to enjoy.
4. One-of-a-kind drinks. Like most restaurants, they serve the staple soda fountain drinks. However, they also serve their own unique line of drinks. These drinks are beyond good with flavors like strawberry lemonade, made with real strawberries and pomegranate green tea.
5. No meat. Last but certainly not least, Sweet Tomatoes has been one of my favorite restaurants because they serve very little to no meat. I love the fact that they use vegetables to the extreme. I’m always hesitant to go to restaurants, especially buffets, with meat just sitting there for hours on slabs. As a lacto ovo vegetarian, it’s great to experience hearty, fresh and meatless eating without having to cook it myself.