As TLC recently announced its plans for a summer special featuring famous mom Kate Gosselin and her eight children, this former fan has to wonder just what kind of reception TLC expects from us. Now I’ll admit there was a time when I wouldn’t miss a single episode of Jon and Kate Plus 8. My daughter and I excitedly watched “the babies” as they grew, and there was no denying the cuteness that pulled us in every week. But what is the pull now? More Kate ugliness? Lest viewers forget, let’s revisit a few of Kate’s cringe-worthy moments.
- Toys-R-Us Outburst (Jon and Kate Plus 8): Who could possibly forget the time Kate kept yelling across the store at then-husband Jon. Not calling, not asking….yelling. We all cringed as Jon said, it’s “like I’m a fricking dog”. His humiliation was heart wrenching. Kate’s later justification: “Jon was being a child”. Hmmmmmm.
- Cornfield Maze (Kate Plus 8): Instead of cute footage of the sweet kiddos running through the corn maze, we see Kate trying to get around in her super inappropriate spiked heel boots, while making smarty remarks on her goal of the day being to lose the kids.
- Pet Store (Kate Plus 8): I guess if she can’t embarrass Jon in public anymore, she’ll use the overhead paging system at the pet store to embarrass her children. I’m sure the “I’m dead serious” that Kate chirped into the pager really ended their pet shop experience on a sour note.
- Camping/Freaking Out (Sarah Palin’s Alaska): Okay, so going into this episode of camping in Alaska, we all knew there would be a Kate meltdown. We cringed seeing this self-proclaimed “do everything for my kids” mom telling her children, “Goodbye. You’re now a Palin, not a Gosselin”. The confusion, disappointment and guilt placed on the little ones was almost unbearable to watch. I guess Kate didn’t think camping out in Alaska might be cold. Wow.
- No Scooting!/Grass Stains (Jon and Kate Plus 8): What should have been a day of ice cream and family fun turned sour when Kate begins screaming at the children because they (gasp) went into the grass. As Kate screamed, “grass stains” and “no scooting”, one of the little ones summed up everything as she asked her mommy, “…can’t you just let them have fun?”
Well, it’s been a long time since we have been able to actually enjoy watching the Gosselin children due to their mother’s attitude and outbursts taking center stage. But, if TLC can refocus on the REAL sweet little cuties we grew to love, this fan will be right back watching again!