Scherenschnitte, or German paper cutting, is the process of cutting intricate designs out of paper. I’ve also heard it called kirigami, except you don’t fold the paper before cutting. I love paper cutting, and love to use these designs on my crafts. Beginners to paper cutting can use simple designs to make beautiful signs.
I used scherenschnitte to make a simple wood and burlap sign for an anniversary present. You can make one just like it or similar with the directions below.
What You Need:
Paper cutting design
1) Cover the top of the wood sign with craft glue. Use a good amount of glue and spread it around evenly with the brush.
2) Cover the glued wood sign with the burlap and press down all over to make sure every inch of the burlap sticks to the sign. Let the glue dry.
3) Cut off the excess burlap with the scissors. I like to leave the edges frayed because I think it looks nice.
4) Cut out your paper cutting design. Place the design on a cutting board and cut along the lines with the Xacto knife. Some designs require you to cut out parts of the middle.
5) Brush glue on the back of the paper cutting and glue it to the burlap covered sign. Press flat and let it dry.
6) Cut shapes out of the gold foil using the stencils. Used simple heart stencils. I traced the stencil on the gold foil and then cut out the perfect hearts.
7) Glue the gold foil shapes to the sign wherever you want them.
8) Place the stencils on the burlap covered board if you want to write words or use other stencil designs. I chose to use the word “Love.”
9) Color in the stencil with the paint pens. The paint won’t completely cover the burlap because of the holes, but I like the rough look.
10) Continue to add stencils, gold foil designs, and paper cuttings until your burlap paper cutting sign is complete.
1) If you’re worried about leaving lines after cutting out your paper cutting design, then just flip the finished design over and use it as a mirror image. The lines will be on the back where you put the glue.
2) Paper cutting is nearly the opposite of stenciling. It’s like the left over part after you cut out a stencil except it’s all in one piece. You can use some simple stencil designs as paper cutting designs.
3) Search the Internet for free paper cutting designs. You can also find books with Scherenschnitte designs.
4) If you use an image from a book, you can trace the design using a light box.
5) You don’t have to use just white paper for your paper cutting. If you use cardstock, it creates a simple 3D effect.