There are lots of people out there who are staying in an unhealthy and unhappy relationship. They stick together until the resentment builds up to an extent that it leads to a messy, complicated and emotional breakup. Such individuals don’t give a voice to their feelings of unhappiness and continue to go with the flow hoping that there will be a change and their problems will be solved. There are also some couples who are willing to try everything possible for making the relationship work and don’t want to throw in the towel. A couples therapist can be visited by people if they don’t want to give up.
Maintaining a relationship and solving problems within it requires a lot of skills. Only few people are naturally equipped with these skills. Therapists are individuals who are in possession of these skills and can give couples ideas on how to resolve their problems. Some of the benefits that couples can enjoy by going to see a therapist are:
- · Couples come to know some healthy ways of dealing with a conflict. Counseling and therapy will help them in learning communication skills through which they will not just learn to listen to their partner, but also process what’s being said.
- · A therapist will also be able to tell couples how they can state their needs openly and clearly without any anger or resentment.
- · Couples will also learn how they can be assertive without coming off as offensive. Both partners need to be able to discuss their issues without worrying about hurting the other. Therapy will teach them that it is possible to get what you need and want without having to engage in conflict and make demands.
- · It will also become easier for couples to work through their unresolved issues and process their problems in a better way. A couples therapist will help people in getting their feelings out in the open.
- · With constant therapy and counseling, individuals will also be able to get a deeper understanding of their partner or spouse and even come to understand themselves.
Therapy gives people the opportunity of saving their relationship or marriage before it is damaged beyond repair. However, it is also essential for people to go to the right therapist in order to benefit or else it may be the other way round. People can ask their friends and family for recommending a therapist, especially if someone also went for therapy. But, this might create issues of privacy so people can decide to take advantage of the internet. They can simply search for licensed therapists for couples in their area. People should ensure that they are choosing a therapist who sees couples frequently and is practiced.
It can also be helpful for people to first meet the therapist in person before taking their partner. Irina Firstein, a couples therapist, says that people have to judge whether they are comfortable with the therapist before they start undergoing therapy. A therapist will usually be friendly, cooperative, patient and calm and can help people in getting along with their partner.