I’m a cheap crafter. I want to spend as little as possible and end up with something awesome that people think I spent lots of money and time working on. My newest cheap creation is a country family name sign. Using cheap burlap and foam, I’ve created a pretty name sign that took only a hour to make.
What You Need:
1) Place your letter stencils on your foam board up against the top edge and spelling out your family name. This way you know how big to cut your foam board.
2) Cut the foam board to the correct size so that all your letters fit. I added about 1/4 inch to the top, bottom, and sides of the board just to make a it a tiny big bigger and to guarantee everything fits.
3) Cut a piece of burlap so it is a big bigger than the foam board. It doesn’t have to be more than a couple inches bigger because you’re going to trim it later.
4) Slather craft glue all over one side of the foam board using the foam brush. I use Mod Podge, but you can use cheaper Elmer’s if you want.
5) Place the burlap on top of the glued board and press down so it sticks.
6) Slather more glue on top of the burlap. Burlap is great for gluing because of the many holes. Putting glue on the top not only helps it stick but also creates a smoother working surface for the lettering. It also makes it a bit water proof.
7) Let the glue dry completely.
8) Trim the excess burlap from around the edges, leaving just a little bit behind. I like to let a few pieces of the edge fray for added effect. Don’t worry, the glue will keep the burlap from fraying too far.
9) Place the letter stencils on your burlap covered board in the correct order.
10) Color in the letters using the paint pen. I love paint pens and consider them worth the cost, but to save even more money you can use acrylic paint and a small paint brush. You might not get the same rough texture effect though as you do with paint pens.
11) Remove the stencils and let the sign dry.
You can now hang your name sign using picture frame hangers or double sided tape. The sign is incredibly light, making it easy to hang anywhere.