The fifth season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is arguably the best of the series, and there are episodes that are far and away from of the best episodes of any show ever.
5. Triangle- The best thing about “Triangle” (besides Olaf the hilarious Troll), is that it acknowledges tension between characters. Willow and Anya, at this point in the series, have been quietly jealous of one another since Xander and Anya started dated. A lesser show would just leave that as it is. But Buffy the Vampire Slayer takes the time to address the emotional impact that Xander’s relationship with Anya has made on the group. Plus, “Triangle” gives us a humorous break from what has so far been a fairly sad season.
4. Buffy vs. Dracula- The first episode of the fifth season is strange, in all the right ways. It acknowledges vampire tropes and Dracula style camp while still giving us a fresh take on the character. And even though “Buffy vs. Dracula” is very funny, the episode also introduces the darker side of Buffy’s calling. As usual, the series balance the dark and the light deftly.
3. Fool for Love- When we finally see some of Spike’s past, it is fascinating and interesting, and explains so much about him. Again, the series touches on the darker side of being the slayer. Buffy has yet another vampire telling her that she is in love with death. And we find out the Spike is too. Also, Angel fans, the crossover is incredible!
2. The Gift- This episode makes me cry every time that I watch it. When Buffy says “the hardest thing in this world is to live in it” tears come. There are also awesome fights with a god, and great use of the Buffybot. This is one of the best season finales.
1. The Body- But only one episode could be number one on this list. Only one episode makes me sob like a child. Fans of long tracking shots will be blown away. People who are not fans still acknowledge the greatness of this episode. With no music, and hardly any vampires, “The Body” shows that Buffy is more than just a silly campy show about a cheerleader.