The Big Bang theory proposed by theoretical physicists is that the universe started when a highly dense matter exploded and set in motion events that eventually produced the universe. There are many unresolved inconsistencies in this theory.
- 1. The first unresolved issue is why did the dense matter exploded? Was it an internal dynamic or an external force that made it explode? If it was stable before the Big Bang then why did it become unstable to explode?
- 2. A dense matter that explodes by itself, without interference from an outside force, to set the universe in motion will be a closed system. Recent research on dark matter and dark energy suggest that these unknown phenomena is pushing the universe apart without disturbing the precarious balance required between stars and planets. To justify these another theory of multi-bangs is introduced which still makes each universe a close system and does not explain the phenomena.
- 3. Everything in the universe is in motion. Whether it is large galaxies or microscopic electrons there is nothing static. Here motion does not mean conversing a distance but rather continuous change of state which could be location in space as well as physical characteristics. Time is the accounting measure of this continuous motion experienced by the universe. It creates this dilemma that a dense matter that was not changing its state or static in terms of time suddenly explodes and give rise to motion and time.
- 4. In the context of Big Bang theory since everything was static or without change time did not existed as well. The whole universe started at the bang at the same moment so there should be unity of time in the universe i.e. synchronization of state of being. But that is not the case when we look at the universe form the lens of theory of relativity. A light from a star that is a lunar years away reaches us when the star has already moved into the future. This should not be the case if the whole universe started at the same time when the bang happened.
- 5. We know now that the universe is still expanding which means that the force of gravity should get weaker as planets and stars move away from each other. But since the balance of the universe is not disturbed despite moving away that is only possible when either new matter is created in the universe or an external force provides the extra gravity needed to maintain the balance. If bang started with a dense matter it is not possible that this matter was unlimited. How the balance in gravity is then maintained despite expansion of the universe. Some scientist try to answer this question by suggesting that the gravity is originated from another universe which is denser than our own universe. Another hypothesis is that dark matter converts into matter to maintain gravity.
As theoretical physicist consider Big Bang theory to be verified and accepted they come up with explanation to deal with the above paradoxes. For instance the idea of multiple bangs that has created multiple universes or conversion of dark energy into matter.
Personally I was always skeptical about the Big Bang theory and felt that scientists are too comfortable with it to really question it from all angles. They are hesitant to rock the boat by thinking out of the box and considering other hypothesis as well. Through this piece I am trying to present the idea that there may not have been a Big Bang at the first place. If there was no Big Bang then how the universe came to be? That is the key question I am trying to answer by proposing an alternate hypothesis.
We already know that black holes exist in the universe. We do not fully understand the realty of black holes but we do have an evidence for their existence in the universe. I am proposing that there was no Big Bang of a dense matter but rather a Big Expansion through a phenomena similar to a black hole. It was an expansion just like the one we experience when helium is filled in a balloon. That balloon like expansion that started at the origination of the universe is still happening adding more matter as the expansion occurs.
This hypothesis of a Big Expansion addresses all the four paradoxes mentioned above. In this case there is no need for unity of time as each part of the universe came to be at a different moment when that matter passed through the hole and came to the state of existence in the realm of this universe. In this hypothesis time is relative to each section of the universe depending on the moment of its state of being and the duration lapsed since then. For instance a section of the universe that came to the state of being before Milky Way galaxy has more time lapse since its inception and so is in a different state of time. For illustration purposes, consider the example of a father and son may exist together in a particular moment in time but are at different states in their physical selves. Aging or decay is a phenomena common to everything that exist in the universe.
The laws of physics suggest that matter cannot be created or destroyed but can only change form. Since the universe is expanding new matter is continuously added to the universe, through this ongoing process of Big Expansion, this maintains the gravitational force needed to maintain the balance. As new matter is introduced to this realm of the universe it conforms with the laws and principles prevalent in it. The density and hence force of gravity near the opening of the expansion is high and reduces as it expands. It is this high density at the opening that scientists refers to explain the source of gravitational force as the universe expands.
Through this Big Expansion the universe started in motion rather than changing its state from stationary to being in motion. Consequently in its current state it was never in stationary state. It is in continuous state of change at every level of existence.
The dark matter and dark energy that prevails throughout the universe originates because there is an active force that is being exerted through the black hole from which this universe came to be. It is still producing more matter and continuing the expansion.
The event of the Big Expansion could have started at approximately 15 billion years as estimated by Scientists based on the radiations recorded by them.
My objective of proposing this hypothesis of Big Expansion is to push the scientific community to consider other alternatives to Big Bang theory. Understanding creation of universe is important to further the cause of science to have better understanding of the world around us.