A guide to the best and worst dog breeds for people that suffer from allergies. Most people think that dog fur is the cause of their allergy. It’s most likely the dander or even the dog’s saliva that is the cause. Before you run out and avoid the “hairy” dog, check the list as you may be surprised. Information compiled from Dog Breed Info.
Tips to reduce allergens
- Frequent vacuuming
- Moderate bathing and grooming of pets, too much and too little encourage dander production.
- Replace rugs with tile or vinyl flooring
- Do not allow pets to lick you.
- Clean chew toys weekly in a soapy solution
- Do not allow pets to sleep in your bedroom
- Wash their bed mats on a regular basis
- Buy a portable Hepa air filtration system and run it in the room once a week where dogs spend most of their time. Best on the day of vacuuming.
Best Hypoallergenic Breeds
- Schnauzer–some argument on dander, but in most cases with a high quality diet and a regular grooming schedule should make the dog a good choice for allergic people.
- Maltese–coat is hair and NOT fur and the breed has no undercoat, sheds less and no dander issue. Great choice even for the definite dog allergy individual as it has been shown that they don’t have a negative reaction around the Maltese.
- Bison Frise–curly coat tends to produce less dander
- Labradoodle–wool coats repel outdoor allergens
- Portuguese Water Dog–probably the best breed to have if you or a family member suffer from allergies. President Obama’s daughter, Malia is an allergy sufferer. The Water Dog, with waterproof fur and webbed feet, is perfectly acclimated for outdoor living. This breed is perfectly happy living it’s life outdoors as long as it has shelter, water and food. I suppose this is a reason the Obama’s chose the breed as the First Family’s pet. an excellent choice knowing that it could be very happy outdoors if it became necessary to relocate the dog because of an issue at The White House and Malia’s allergy flare up.
- Xoloitzcuintli or Mexican Hairless– as the name implies, it is as bald as a cue ball.
Worst Hypoallergenic Breeds
- St. Bernard–drools excessively prone to dermatitis which cause excessive itching and the dislodging of dead skin releasing dander into the air.
- Bulldog–drools excessively and wrinkled skin harbors dander.
- German Shepherd–tendency for dry skin condition causing scratching and dander issues
- Boston Terrier–because of its own propensity for developing allergies leading to watery eyes, runny noses, and itchy skin. Tendency to cross contaminate areas in which they live.
- Pekinese–because of their reputation as a poor pet to house break. Urine is the enemy for allergic people and if this breed is chosen, make sure you use bleach to clean up any messes.
All people can enjoy the companionship of “man’s best friend”. Some people just need to be more diligent in selection and maintenance of their pets. Good luck and let me encourage anyone who is on the fence because of allergy to adopt a shelter dog as it is truly an experience a child will remember forever. Unconditional, judgment free love from an animal is sometimes the exact medicine a child needs to get through their daily stresses. It also teaches them responsibility, patience and makes them less afraid in general when they grow up. The worst thing a parent can do is shelter a child from a pet cause of allergy. The human body needs to adapt to ward off allergies and sterile environments hamper the development of a child’s immune system. So, let the child sneeze a little and get dirty, it will strengthen their body’s natural defenses.
More content from this contributor:
- A Green Lawn in 5 Easy Steps
- Best Type of Digital Thermometer for Your Family?
- Four Cheap Brunch Deals Off the Las Vegas Strip
- 5 NASA Inventions Taken for Granted
- The Five Greatest Athletes of the Last 10 Years