This girl’s two favorite things in life are cocktails and cake. So, of course, Bailey’s Irish Cream Cupcakes are one of my favorite tipsy-cake recipes. They are also the perfect dessert for St. Patrick’s Day.
The green beer and once a year attempts at Irish cooking brought out on St. Patrick’s Day are becoming somewhat of a party foul. Let’s celebrate the awesome products of Ireland, rather than trying to recreate them. Bailey’s Irish Cream Cupcakes are a great way to honor the liquor, St. Patrick’s Day, and your sweet tooth.
How to make the cake batter:
1 Box Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix
1 Box instant chocolate pudding mix (3.4oz)
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup Bailey’s Irish Cream*
- First preheat oven to 350°. Next prepare 24 muffin tins with paper liners.
- For the batter, first mix the dry cake mix and pudding mix.
- Then add the vegetable oil, Irish Cream, and then the eggs one at a time until batter is well blended.
- Spoon batter into muffin liners until they are half full. Bake for 16-18 minutes until an inserted tooth pick comes out clean. Batter mix should make 24 rich moist cupcakes.
How to make the Bailey’s Butter Cream Icing:
1 Stick of butter soften (1/2 cup)
4 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tbsps. of Bailey’s Irish Cream*
- When the cupcakes have completely cooled, whip one stick of room temperature softened butter until small peaks form.
- Sift one cup of powdered sugar into the whipped butter at a time. If the mix becomes too dense, slowly add one table spoon of Bailey’s at a time.
- Whip until completely smooth. Pipe onto cupcakes and decorate with your party theme!
*A baker’s note: It’s important to taste while cooking! I like my cupcakes a little drunk, but that doesn’t mean you can’t love this easy recipe if you don’t. If the alcohol flavor is too strong for your tastes, substitute with milk. For example, add ½ cup Bailey’s and ½ milk to the batter mix; or add 1tbsp. Bailey’s and 2 tbsps. milk to the butter cream.
How to Decorate Cupcakes:
Too often the St. Patrick’s Day theme has us dyeing lovely foods some awful shade of unappetizing green. Don’t fall into the food-dye trap! There are so many cute ways to decorate your cupcakes, including adding fun printable cake toppers, like these St. Patrick’s Day tops, that are absolutely free from crafty blog mavens like Amy Locurto. Save the green for small bows around the topper stems, and maybe add some sparkle with gold sugar sprinkles.