Mega Churches are a big spectacle in America today. Mega Churches are big on quantity, organization, and televangelism. Mega Churches have become a corporate conglomerate to be reckoned with. Business is booming for mega churches in America. But do Mega Churches meet Biblical standards?
There are hundreds and hundreds of mega churches in America today. Here are the top 10 American mega churches in 2013:
Rank/ Church/ Lead Pastor/ Size
“1. Lakewood Church – Joel Osteen – 43,500
2. North Point Ministries – Andy Stanley – 30,629
3. Willow Creek Community Church – Bill Hybels – 25,743
4. New Spring Church – Perry Noble – 23,055
5. Church of the Highlands – Chris Hodges – 22,184
6. Saddleback Church – Rick Warren – 22,055
7. Southeast Christian Church – Dave Stone – 21,764
8. Gateway Church – Robert Morris – 21,403
9. Central Christian Church – Jud Wilhite – 21,055
10. Phoenix First Assembly of God – Luke Barnett – 21,000″
Westernized Christianity, for the most part, is very structured and organized. “Westernized Christianity has captivated the gospel in Western culture for centuries. Examples of this include:
- A church needing full-time clergy who have graduated from a Bible college or seminary.
- A church meeting once a week on Sunday morning around 10 or 11 a. m.
- A church needing a building.
- A church needing a three-point sermon.
- Church planting needing lots of funding.”
First Century Church
“Church life at the beginning was relational and organic, not organizational and institutional.” (who-is-god-really.org) The focus of the first century church was on building and maintaining relationships between fellow Christians. The size of the church and how it was structured was not a concern to the early Christians. Early Christians were more concerned with the quality of fellow Christians, rather than the quantity of weakly attendance of service. Church was not just a building to the first century Christians. The Christians in the buildings (houses) were the Church.
There is a big contrast from the first century churches and the mega churches of today. Many things have happened to shape the church to the way it is today. The Catholic Church structure has greatly influences how church is ran and operated today. The Reformation has also greatly influenced how the church organized today. But, America has put its own influential flavor in the mix to make church more business-like. Was Church meant to be the way it is today? You decide!