The second season of Angel, the spin-off of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a little odd by the end. But there are worse episodes before we get to Pylea.
5. Untouched- A telekinetic girl is pursued by Lilah because she would be an asset to Wolfram and Hart. Angel seeks to help her, and she uncovers a cliched traumatic past. The biggest problem with the episode is that while it is interesting, it is also incredibly sexist.
4. Judgement- Angel must protect a pregnant lady whose child is of some importance to a demon clan. The episode is ok, but it feels more like the cheesy fare of season one than something from the more interesting season that is to come.
3. Happy Anniversary- This episode does have plenty of Lorne, and that is a really good thing because Lorne is awesome. But he can’t really make up for the creepiness of this episode. It’s not creepy in a good way, it’s creepy in an “I wish this didn’t exist” kind of way.
2. The Thin Dead Line- Zombie cops. Sounds cool, but ends up being an excuse for Gunn’s former friends to yell at Gunn for not fighting evil with them anymore (this happens more than once and is always racist and weird). Why do they always have to be gang members or car thieves or toting guns when he runs into them? Why are they all homeless? Aren’t there any white homeless people? It appears that the episode is trying to comment on racism, but only makes it worse by not really knowing what it’s talking about. Kind of like “Untouched” and “She” (from season one) do with sexism.
1. The Shroud of Rhamon- There are two things I remember about this episode. 1) Angel does a weird mobster thing that is kind of funny and 2. there is a long carrying sequence in which a bunch of demons and Gunn and Angel all give each other the side-eye. The episode is so boring that even though I just watched it, I don’t remember anything about it. Ok, I remember one more thing, Cordelia’s hair is awful in this episode.