What is reiki and how does it work? Is it safe and how effective is it? These are a few of the most common questions asked about reiki.
Reiki, meaning “universal life force energy” is a holistic, non-invasive form of energy healing. Healing with reiki is very gentle and yet its effects can be very profound. Reiki assists the body in healing itself by restoring its energy balance. It can be used as a treatment for many conditions. Many clients seek out reiki practitioners to help them decrease or eliminate pain and to increase relaxation.
Reiki practitioners understand that we consist of more than our physical bodies, and therefore, treat the energies associated with disease/imbalance. Reiki works on four levels: physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual. Taking care of ourselves on all four levels is crucial to our health and well being.
A Word About Energy Flow and Our Bodies
Life force energy constantly flows through and around us. Without it, we wouldn’t be alive. The energy field that surrounds our physical bodies is called the aura. Energy runs though the physical body via energy pathways such as the meridians, nadis, and chakras. Reiki practitioners focus mainly on the aura and the seven main chakras which run from the base of the spine to the top of the head. They are all interdependant. When one is affected, the others compensate to maintain life force.
The following is a brief overview of each chakra and its associations:
- The root chakra is located at the base of the spine and is associated with the color red. This chakra is about security and survival. The glands associated with it are the gonads.
- The sacral chakra is located about three fingers below the naval and is associated with the color orange. This chakra is associated with confidence and creativity. The glands associated with this chakra are the adrenals.
- The solar plexus chakra is located above the naval and below the sternum and is associated with the color yellow. It is associated wtih personal power. It’s physical association is the islets of Langerhans.
- The heart chakra is loated in the midddle of the chest and it is associated with the colors green and pink. It is associated with love and compassion. the gland associated with this chakra is the thymus.
- The throat chakra is located at the throat and is associated with the color blue. It is associated with self expression. The glands associated with this chakra are the thyroid and parathyroid.
- The brow chakra is located between the eyebrows and it’s color is indigo. It is associated with perception and intuition. This chakra is associated with the pineal and pituiatary glands.
- The crown chakra is located at the top of the head and is associated wth the color violet.This is the chakra that connects us to our higher selves. it is also associated with the pineal and pituitary glands.
The aura is the energy field that surrounds the physical body and works in conjunction with the chakras. It has an oval shape and extends about two-three feet from the physical body in all directions. All that we think, feel, and do affects the aura. Therefore, it is constantly changing.
The Reiki Session
During the reiki session, the client sits of lies down fully clothed. It is advisable that the arms and legs remain uncrossed in order not to interrupt the flow of energy. The reiki practioner welcomes the reiki energy thus becoming a channel for the energy to flow through. Guided by reiki, the practitioner uses various hand positions to direct energy to the client. The client may experience warmth, tingling, cold etc. or nothing at all. This does not mean reiki isn’t working. The client may also experience an emotional release. Often, the client feels very relaxed during and after a reiki session. The effects of reiki can be felt right away or after the session. Each person had his or her own experience with reiki.
The Reiki Principles
Other than energy healing, reiki is a way to grow spiritually. Reiki principles are guidelines for living a meaningful life. The following is one version of the reiki principles:
- Just for today, do not anger.
- Just for today, do not worry.
- Show appreciation.
- Earn your living honestly.
- Be kind to every living creature.
So now you have a good idea of how reiki works. It is safe, gentle, and effective and has been a benefit to many.
Disclosure: This article is not a substitute for medical treatment. Anyone with a condition that may require medical attention should seek a qualified practitioner.