Mile Square Park is a 4 mile recreational park located in the city of Fountain Valley. This park features numerous activities for locals and tourists to do daily. Whether it’s fishing, rollerblading, picnicking, or a brisk stroll this park has got it all. Mile Square Park is a nice quiet retreat from the hectic life of the Greater Orange County Areas.
The History of Mile Square Park
Fountain Valley is home to a square mile park filled with an abundance of trees, walkways, and recreational activities. Mile Square Park was originally set as a military airfield around World War II. The land was leased by the Navy in the late 1960’s to the county as a land to be developed for recreational purposes; it was also leased as an agricultural land until the county could afford to pay for it, entirely. It was given to the County of Orange in 1973 as acreage surplus.
9 Activities to do at Mile Square Park
The following are 9 Recreational Activities to participate in at Mile Square Park:
- 1. Fishing with a California license– There are two lakes that you can choose from. One is in the South, and the other is in the north of the park. Anyone 16 or over needs an official California Fishing License.
- 2. Picnicking– Numerous places are available to picnic in. You can use the little covered shelters near the lakes, or sit on the many park tables, or out in the open grassy meadows with a blanket. Make sure you throw all your cans, bottles, and other garbage into the trash.
- 3. Barbequing– There are small barbeques near many of the tables and shelters where you can grill your choice of meats.
- 4. Walking the pedestrian’s path– Mile Square Park has numerous pedestrian paths to walk all around the park.
- 5. Hiking the nature area– For those that like something more adventurous you can hike the 15 acre nature area. It’s open Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Bring a pair of good hiking boots, and keep your small children near you. Coyotes abound all over the park and are very likely to be in this region.
- 6. Bicycling– Bring your own bike during Mon-Friday. During the weekend you can rent on.
- 7. Lake Paddle boats- Only available during the weekend as a rental.
- 8. Rollerblading- Bring your own or rent one during the weekend.
- 9. Archery Range– In November of 2013 Mile Square Park opened up its own exclusive Archery Range. This a tournament style archery range designed for world class archery.
Weekend Rentals at Mile Square Park
Activities 6-8 are available for rental at wheelfunrentals.com. This place is open during the weekend. There is one location near Warner, and another near Edinger. They are located near the two lakes at the park.