I knew immediately when I saw this recipe from ChinDeep.com that I would be making it as soon as possible. It reminds me a lot of a recipe that I have enjoyed over the years but this salad has more to it. Made in the same way as those you see in beautiful glass salad bowls but let’s face it, you can’t really get a scoop of everything because it is so deep and you end up destroying it trying to get some of everything on your plate.
This recipe is made in the same way as I make mine in that we use a lower and wider casserole pan or something of that nature, I use a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish. Now you can cut a piece like cutting a piece of lasagna and you will get all of its goodness in that one serving. Here is my version of this recipe, almost identical but I have changed up a few things to please those people I am feeding and their particular likes and dislikes.
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 medium purple onion, slivered
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, slivered
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 12 Oz package frozen baby peas, thawed
- 2 cups real mayonnaise
- Shredded cheese to cover the top (I use the Mexican blend)
- Bacon crumbles, (I use Hormel from Costco or Sam’s Club)
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- Take out the core from the head of lettuce and cut into smaller chunks, spread it evenly in the 9 x 13 dish.
- Begin to layer your ingredients one by one making sure that you spread them out evenly over the entire surface. Lettuce – onion – celery – green pepper – mushrooms – tomatoes – peas.
- Now spread the mayonnaise across the peas, be careful and do it gently or you will have the peas following you and the mayonnaise across the dish, a light touch works.
- Once the mayo is evenly spread and covering the peas and other ingredients, sprinkling the cheese evenly over the dish.
- Finally sprinkle those bacon bits all across this dish and you are ready to chill it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving.
I like to make this dish a day ahead and use frozen peas that way they are thawed and ready to eat the next day and I have all of the work out of the way freeing my time up for other things. You can use sharp cheddar, Swiss or any other cheese that you like, they all will taste amazing along with the other ingredients in this dish. If you like a bit of a kick you can sprinkle on some red pepper flakes.