Forget about those dreaded early morning jogs and toss out that half hour exercise DVD. If you want to get your beach body ready quickly this year, you don’t have to look much further than your own backyard. Boring exercises don’t hold a candle to the full body workout found in good old fashioned home ownership.
- Fire the gardener. Why pay someone to work out in your yard when you can burn an enormous amount of calories yourself? In that short half hour exercise time you usually carve out, try heading out and weeding your flowerbeds. Trimming and edging with nothing but a shovel and a pair of scissors will surely get your arms in shape while burning a ton of calories. Go ahead and do all the mowing and weed whacking yourself too.
- Store the riding mower. If you really want a great cardio workout, then it’s time to put that riding lawn mower back in the shed. Pull out the trusty push mower and get to work. Most have a self-propel feature that can turn the chore into a basic powerwalk, but why not step it up and push that bad boy by hand? Talk about calorie burning!
- Start a vegetable garden. On top of the physical benefits of putting in a new garden and keeping up with the maintenance, having a summer filled with fresh produce is sure to get your hand out of the cookie jar. From digging a spot and planting the crops to weekly weeding sessions, this is a task where you can certainly reap what you sow.
- Join the kids for playtime. Children can spend hours running around a backyard and swimming in the pool. Instead of the leisurely time spent watching them, join in! And to really amp up the volume, set a timer for a full hour and try to keep up with your kiddos’ pace until the buzzer goes off. You will be amazed at what stepping up to child-like play will do for your abs.
- Renovate, renovate, renovate! You know those new shutters you’ve wanted installed? How about your dream patio? Has staining the deck been on your to-do list? All those projects that you dream about are just filled with natural exercises. Skip hiring someone, find some cheap materials on Craigslist and have at it. Sitting in your newly renovated backyard is certainly more rewarding than staring at a wall on a treadmill.
So this summer, think outside the gym and burn more calories than you could possibly imagine while toning muscles you forgot you had. With these five tips, you’ll be proudly strutting down the beach in no time!