Anxiety is an incredibly prevalent condition in America, affecting nearly 18% of all adults. While everyone experiences anxiety from time to time, chronic anxiety sufferers tend to experience intense anxiety daily, sometimes for no apparent reason. While anxiety can be challenging to deal with in one’s day to day life, there are a number of ways that you can reduce anxiety naturally, lessening the burden of daily living. Here are seven tips to help you get rid of anxiety and live a calmer life.
- St. John’s Wort- St. John’s Wort is an herbal supplement that is known for its calming effects. It has been shown to elevate the mood and reduce anxiety naturally, helping many to conquer their nerves. It can be purchased in capsule or liquid form, and taken daily for best results. While St. John’s Wort is a natural supplement with little health risks when taken properly, it can interfere with other medications. If you are currently taking any medications, be sure to talk to your doctor before beginning to take St. John’s Wort.
- Meditation- In the words of Lau Tzu, “If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.” Staying present is an important aspect of lessening nervous thinking, allowing you to reduce anxiety naturally. Meditation is a practice that can help you do just that. Consider setting aside an hour every morning to meditate and prepare yourself for the day. Additionally, throughout the day, any time you find yourself becoming anxious, stop what you are doing for a moment. Take several deep breaths and clear your mind of all the negative thoughts and try to bring your focus back to the present. This may seem difficult at first, but with continuing practice it will get much easier and help you to greatly reduce anxiety overall.
- Exercise- It has been said that a healthy body makes for a healthy mind, and studies tend to promote that theory. Exercise has been shown to lower depression, elevate the mood, and reduce anxiety through the release of endorphins in the brain. Make time to exercise every morning before work. It will help to put you in a better mood and help you conquer the day more easily. If anxiety tends to keep you up at night, consider exercising in the evening a couple of hours before bed. Just be sure to time it so that you have at least two hours after the workout before sleeping, as the raise in heart rate and endorphins will actually keep you up.
- Avoid Caffeine- Studies have shown that caffeine can greatly exacerbate anxiety disorders and the occurrence of panic attacks. If you are a caffeine user struggling to get rid of anxiety, it is strongly recommended to eliminate caffeine entirely. Consider weaning off slowly to prevent caffeine withdrawal symptoms.
- Ayurvedic Breathing- When people become anxious, their breathing tends to become shallow and quick. Ironically, the shallow breathing in turn makes the anxiety worse by not allowing enough oxygen to the organs. Hence, when you find yourself becoming anxious, it is important to focus on your breathing and take long, deep breaths. There are a variety of Ayurvedic breathing techniques that can help you to reduce anxiety naturally.