If the nerd inside has gotten the best of you, and you’ve decided to go the extra mile and build your own computer, here are a few tips to save money and get the job done quickly. When it comes to electronics most people think that the best electronics are the brand new, most expensive ones. But when it comes to building your own computer that isn’t necessarily true. Just because it is the most expensive part or piece does not mean in this case that it is any better than a used item or less expensive part.
- Contrary to popular belief the processor for a home computer isn’t all that important. While you may think getting the top of the line processor is going to make all of the difference, it probably won’t be much better than a cheaper brand processor and motherboard.
- Depending on your storage needs of your computer, you will need to decide how much RAM to get. If you are planning to house many photos and documents you will want to put plenty of memory on your computer. If you are going to use more than 4 GB of RAM you will need a 64 bit operation system. A 32 bit system will not recognize anything over 4….and that would be unfortunate to find out once you have everything installed and ready to boot up the first time!
- One thing I did not realize in my search of building my own computer is that it really can be cheaper to custom build the perfect computer for your needs. By shopping around at different stores sales, and using coupons, as well as eBay for used items, you can save a fortune over a premade computer.
- When you purchase a computer from Best Buy for example, it comes with firewall protection. But when you are building your own computer, do not overlook this step. Make sure you have your anti-virus software picked out and firewall protection ready to go before you plug in to the internet. The last thing you would want to do is get a virus on your brand new machine!
- While I for one am not a gamer, if you are, you will be building your computer totally different than I would. My goal for building my own computer is storage for lots of pictures of my 5 beautiful children…but your goal would be different. With a gaming computer your focus is speed and sound. While choosing the perfect motherboard isn’t something I may need to think about…it is a key element in a gamers computer.