Spring is coming, and soon it will be too warm to wear black tights. Personally, I am very sad that I will soon have to see them go, because they are the best fashion accessory ever. Here’s why:
1. They go with everything. While I have many pairs of tights, and not all of them are black, every year I buy about eight pairs of black tights. Black goes with everything, and so black tights go with everything. And they really do. They even go with springy dresses. This means that you can wear some of your outfits year-round as long as you upgrade them to wintery with tights, a sweater and boots.
2. They’re flattering. Forget spanks. Tights also pull in all your business and depending on the length of your skirt and boot, can make your legs look longer. Also, if you haven’t shaved in a while, they cover that right up. Suddenly, you have long, skinny, hairless legs!
3. You can dress them up or dress them down. It is possible to rock tights with shorts, if you are an adventurous fashionista. But even without going that casual, you can wear tights with a day dress and boots, and then when it’s time to go out you can change to some sparkly heels and maybe switch out a jacket for a streamlined sweater. Or you could switch your day bag for a sparkling clutch. Boom, your tights, which you were just wearing to cover up your hairy legs at work, suddenly helped you transition to evening wear.
4. They make you look put together. The fact that you can dress tights up so easily shows what a tool they can be to making you look more put together for work or an interview. They can turn nearly any clothing item of appropriate length into work clothing with the right accessories and a little bit of savvy. Sometimes if I don’t know what to wear I just throw on a pair of tights and things start to come together. And I always get compliments from friends who say I look all dressed up when I put in very little effort.
5. They’re warm. This may seem silly. Some of you are thinking “well yeah, that’s why I wear them in the winter.” Or a few of you are going “not as warm as pants!” But really, it depends on the tights that you’re wearing. You can get warm sweater tights, and tights with raised patterns are actually very warm. They have an insulating effect just like waffle-print shirts do!
Springtime, I am so ready for you. But I am going to miss the easiness that comes with my black tights!