People are always talking about how difficult married life is and how the newlywed years are the worst. My experience as a newlywed has been completely opposite. It has been a great period of my life and an enjoyable experience. As I think about my newlywed experience, I came up with five reasons why being a newlywed is so awesome.
5. No more wedding planning. The wedding is over and now you can settle back into your normal life. Wedding planning can be exhausting and often times very stressful so it is a relief when you no longer have to have meetings about table cloths, place settings or flowers. I had an extremely large wedding (over 500 people) so I was so thankful when I no longer had to have long meetings with my wedding planner or talk about our growing budget.
4. Day to day activities. Do not take for granted the day to day tasks of cooking, watching T.V., or doing errands. As a newlywed I enjoy those moments after a long day where we can just relax on the couch, watch a movie and laugh.
3. Best friend. Having a best friend around all the time totally beats being single. It is so nice to have a friend and lover wrapped in one. My husband is my best friend and just being around him is fun.
2. Just the two of us. Many young newlyweds, like myself, will have children someday in the future so it is important to relish the time without children and the added responsibility of parenthood. I like the fact that my biggest responsibility of the day is making dinner and deciding what to watch on Netflix. On any given Saturday, we can just pick up, get in our car, and take a road trip just because we feel like it. We can do whatever we want whenever we want and that freedom is priceless!
1. Sex! Sex when you are single can often times be awkward and emotionless. But sex when you are married is awesome! You are able to be completely vulnerable, let down all of your guards, try new things and do it whenever you want. You can be free without being judged or worried about if he is going to call you the next day.
To all the newlyweds out there take the time to enjoy these years and make the most out of your newlywed years. Yes, married life comes with challenges, but the positives outweigh those challenges, and this experience is so rewarding.