Dating tips for singles abound. At just about every newsstand in the country one can find magazine headlines offering advice on everything from how to attract the opposite sex to how to keep a lover coming back for more. For individuals who want to settle down, however, a different approach to dating may be needed.
The following dating tips will help you narrow your prospects and move several giant steps closer to saying, “I do”:
1. Be upfront about what you want. This is one of the best dating tips a marriage-minded individual can embrace. If you’re ready to get married don’t be afraid to say so on the first date. This doesn’t mean that your date is the one and that you’re ready to walk down the aisle the following day or that every subsequent date has to center around a marriage topic. What it does mean is that you’re clearly communicating your dating intentions. If your date is looking for the same thing, then you’re in good company. If not, you’ve just saved yourself and your date a ton of time in figuring out what the other ultimately wants out of a relationship.
2. Be honest. Whether creating a dating profile for a millionaire matchmaker site or actually meeting someone in person face-to-face, present yourself exactly as you are– at all times! Don’t pretend to be someone that you are not and don’t avoid opportunities to politely share your opinions. If you don’t like something, speak up. Also, if there are important details about you that a potential marriage candidate should know, then discuss these details at the earliest and most appropriate time. Dating tips like these are designed to help you enter an honest, healthy and respectful marriage.
3. Compromise, but don’t settle. Dating tips don’t often delve this deeply, but since healthy marriages contain elements of compromise, it’s important to be aware of differences early on. Compromising occurs when two people sacrifice in order to arrive at a happy medium. For instance, she may hate living in the city and longs to live in the country, while he loves a big city and the idea of leaving an urban landscape bores him to tears. To compromise, this couple may agree to search for a home in a rural area that’s just a short drive from a popular city. Settling, on the other hand, would involve one member of this couple completely sacrificing her or his own comfort in order to serve the other’s wishes. Settling can work for some couples, but, for most, repeated acts of of settling work to create a stumbling block filled with resentment and misery.
4. Lose your illusions. While you have every right to your preferences in a mate, realize that ‘ pobody’s nerfect’ . One of the best dating tips you can ever receive is to allow for a few imperfections here and there. He may have a tendency to run terribly late at times or she may be a disaster in the kitchen. Whatever little imperfections you discover while dating, tips like abandoning the search for a perfect person will help you better assess whether or not minor imperfections are tolerable or whether they are absolute deal breakers.
5. Save the best for last. In offering dating tips, opinions vary on when it’s the right time to embark upon a sexual relationship. However, if you’re dating with the intention of finding a spouse, this may be a boundary that you want to put off crossing too soon. Learning a person’s true character, likes, dislikes, hopes, dreams and, yes, even imperfections can sometimes take a while. Since you’re dating with the intention of marrying, it’s best to take time to unwrap the layers of a person’s heart while laying a foundation for the rest of your life. Doing so increases the likelihood of your overall compatibility, including intimacy. Entering a sexual relationship too quickly, however, can sometimes cloud one’s judgment and risks building a relationship on physical passion while substance may lack. Avoid this tempting trap and save this part of your relationship for when you both know that you’re ready to spend the rest of your lives together.
These dating tips aren’t always the easiest to follow, but others have done so all the way to the altar and you can too. With your primary goal in mind, don’t forget to enjoy yourself and allow room for your date to do the same. Of course, there’s a lot more to building a successful partnership, but quality dating tips like these offer you a good head start.