The key to incorporating more exercise into your day is to do tasks that require physical activity. Changing the way you approach certain tasks or chores can also help you become more physically active during the day when it seems almost impossible to get a good work out in. Here are a few ways you can sneak in a workout or two while doing other chores or tasks, or simply during your leisure time.
1. Play with the children in your life. Whether you have children, nieces, nephews, grandchildren or step children. Playing with the children allows you spend some time with your loved ones while still getting in a little bit of exercise. Play basketball, tag football, or something that requires lots of movement.
2. Walk to work (if it’s not too far, but you determine that). Instead of driving, take the walk. Your body will thank you.
3. Park your car further away from your destination. You’ll have to walk farther by default and yet again, your body will thank you in the long run.
4. Exercise while you watch TV. Exercise bikes and treadmills work well for this. Or you can simply lift weights while you watch the latest episode of The Walking Dead.
5. Go out dancing. Dancing burns off a lot more calories than sitting around at a restaurant stuffing your face.
6. Count your steps while walking the dog or pushing your baby in the stroller.
7. Do squats as you dust. Simply bend slightly forward as you bend your knees and come back up to a full standing position.
8. Do leg exercises while reading.
9. While cooking, get out each ingredient separately. That way, you’re constantly moving back and forth throughout the kitchen.
10. Ditch the car wash and wash your car by hand on your own. You can also save a few bucks by just doing it yourself. Grab a hose and a bucket of soapy water and…happy exercising.
11. Weave around the grocery store with your shopping list instead of getting everything at once.
12. Wear ankle weights throughout the day and go on about your business.
13. Instead of a normal date night, take your special someone on a romantic hike.
14. Take the stairs and skip the elevator. This is an oldy, but goody.
15. Go swimming at the beach or out back in the pool. Swimming works more muscles than walking or running.
16. Do lunges as you get the morning paper or the mail.
17. Do push-ups while you pump gas, or jog in place.
18. Do knee-ups while you wait in line at the post office or the dry cleaners.
19. Do step-ups on the stairs as you vacuum them.
20. Do jumping jacks after while waiting for the doctor (in his office, of course).
Finding the time to exercise can be difficult, but with these twenty tips, you should be on your way to fit and fabulous in no time.