Of all the versatile tools I have laying around my house one of my favorites to use is duct tape. It’s extremely strong and can be used in place of many other things. Duct tape has come in handy at home, camping, and even hiking. I’ve been using this tape all my life for all sorts of projects and repairs. Here are fifteen ways you can use duct tape that you might not have thought of.
1. Fix A Water Bottle– If your stuck in a pinch with a hole or break in your water or drink bottle, duct tape will work as a blocker to keep the liquid inside.
2. Prom Outfit– If you’re in high school and want to get creative try creating a prom outfit out of nothing but duct tape. Every year Duck brand tape offers scholarships for the best outfits made of tape.
3. Hold Glass Together– Duct tape can be very useful for providing an extra layer of strength to windows in heavy storms.
4. Get Artistic– With the wide range of patterns and colors you can buy, try making a design on a blank surface as a fun and creative art project.
5. Hair Removal– If you don’t want to spring for that expensive waxing day at the spa, use duct tape as a cheap alternative. It’s not exactly painless but at least it’s cost effective.
6. Duct Tape Wallet– With a little imagination and creativity you can create a durable wallet solely from duct tape, complete with different sections and business card holders. I recently found out that a friend of mine has had one since we were in high school, almost eight years.
7. Hammock– One time I was camping my group got bored and decided to see if we could make a hammock of duct tape. By making triple layers and crisscrossing the strips we made a hammock that could support a full grown man.
8. Headlights– If you like riding your bike at night you can use duct tape to attach a flashlight to either side for better visibility.
9. Emergency Flip Flops– If you need something on your feet and shoes are nowhere to be found, you can create an easy slip on pair by wrapping the tape around cardboard that is the size of your feet.
10. Fix A Boat– Over the years as a river rafter and kayaker I have seen tons of people use this tape as a method to fix a hole in their vessel. Surprisingly with only two layers on each side it does hold up to most wear.
11. Cup– If you’re thirsty but find yourself cup-less try fashioning one out of overlapped duct tape for a water tight seal on every side.
12. Pet Hair– If you have a cat or dog that roams your home and sheds uncontrollably use a strip of duct tape to quickly clean up the mess behind your furry friend.
13. Fix Ducts– This one may seem obvious but if your heating or cooling system has sprung a leak you can stop the flow with a few strips of this tape.
14. Fishing– Not only could duct tape help fix your boat while fishing but it could also help fix a broken rod. Take two small twigs and place them on either side of the break, and wrap the duct tape around several times.
15. Fix Shoes– When I was younger and into extreme sports it was common to fix a busted shoe with tape, Just hold the sole to the shoe and wrap.
Duct tape is cheap and highly versatile for anyone to use. Along with these uses it has hundreds more. The next time you’re stuck in a bind, try to put some duct tape on it!
For more life hack information and reading from this author, check out:
10 Camping Hacks to Make The Outdoors Easy
10 Easy Ways to Hack Your Kitchen
25 Years of Duct Tape Use
Stuck At Prom- Duct Tape Contest