It’s a great feeling to be recognized by your employer to be leadership material. It is a stepping stone to become more within your company. Here are 10 great tips to ensure that you are the best leader.
1. Encourage your team members – Let them see that you value not only their opinions but also the work they do. This is an important aspect to those times when disciplinary actions are a must.
2. Realize the potential in your team members– Encourage their creativity, allow them to build their experience in all aspects of their job. Many times, team members feel they are stifled based on your position.
3. Have a positive attitude– If you do not have a positive attitude, your team members may not only not trust you, but they could follow your attitude and not promote the company to the best of their ability.
4. Delegate– Allow your tea members to leave about your position first hand. If you want to advance in the company, someone is going to need to replace you. Train and direct each team member as though they will be the one replacing you.
5. Keep Trying New Things– Not everything is going to work all the time. Be prepared to put into place new ideas, team suggestions etc. Work together as a team to complete a common goal.
6. Offer Rewards and Recognition– Run little contests, such as best idea of the week, most participation, met company expectations, attendance etc. There will always be competition among colleagues, use it to your advantage.
7. Continue Learning– To effectively lead your team you will need to stay on top of your company’s direction, growth, changes etc. You can also begin learning how to become what you need to advance in the company.
8. Listen to suggestion from your team members– It is always good practice to listen to what others are saying rather than injecting or interrupting them with your thoughts or opinions.
9. Agree to Disagree– Not everyone is always going to like each other or get along with each other. Know when to bury the hatchet rather than tear each other apart with who knows best.
10. Be Organized– Everyone is watching your lead. They are looking to you to show them how it is done. In order to facilitate a smooth and functioning team, organization is key. If you come off as a scatterbrain, your rise will be significantly undermined.
Understanding and being the best you can be as a team leader can only be as good as you make your team. Your success is a direct result of how well you deal with them on a more personal basis.