Slim, shapely legs can be your best accessory during the hot summer months. However, if you carry most of your weight in your lower body, you might not be too happy about the appearance of your legs, particularly your thighs. To slim down your thighs, there are various things you can do. With consistency and dedication, you will be showing off your legs in no time.
1. Stop obsessing about solely slimming down your legs, and focus on all-over weight loss instead, because this is the only way you can slim down your problem areas. Spot reduction is a myth.
2. Subtract 500 calories from your daily diet. Since 1 pound of fat has 3,500 calories, cutting 500 calories over seven days, can make you lose 1 pound of fat.
3. Engage in aerobics exercise to burn calories for a minimum of 150 minutes a week. For instance, exercise for half an hour a day, for five days. Choose enjoyable activities; take Zumba classes, ride a bike outside, go jogging with a friend, play a game of tennis, go roller skating or splash around in a swimming pool.
4. Strength train two to three times a week to stimulate muscle tissue. Use gym machines, dumbbells or barbells, kettle bells, exercise bands or your body weight for resistance.
5. Work your large muscles (legs, arms, chest, back, shoulders, hips, abdomen) during your strength-training routine, so you optimize muscle tissue, which promotes caloric burn.
6.Incorporate lunges, squats and step ups into your strength-training sessions to make sure you stimulate muscle tissue in your legs. Muscle tissue takes up less space compared to fat, so you’ll lose inches off your legs.
7. Sleep seven to eight hours each night to control appetite-stimulating hormones in your body. Lack of sleep negatively affects hormones in your body that can leave you with severe cravings and an insatiable appetite for diet-sabotaging foods.
8. Banish stress from your life to better manage cortisol levels in your body. High stress increases cortisol production in your body. When cortisol levels are high, you might end up with hard-to-manage cravings for unhealthy fare. Consider yoga, meditation or deep breathing techniques, to reduce stress.
9. Increase your daily activity. Instead of sitting in front of the TV for hours at a time, go for a walk around the block, play tag with the kids or walk the dog more often. Park further from your destination when traveling and walk the rest of the way, and take the stairs even when elevators are present.
10. Prevent bloating by drinking plenty of water and limiting sodium. Other things you can do is limit carbonated drinks, chewing gum and vegetables, such as cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, that give you a gassy feeling.