In recent days a lot of pressure has been put on the earth’s citizen to be aware of the idamage being done to the environment. Many people have taken it upon themselves to be as eco-friendly as possible. With thousands of weddings held a day it is easy to imagine the damage being done to the environment during these ceremonies of love. Luckily for those bride and grooms to be who want to ‘green-ify’ their wedding it has never been easier and more affordable to create the ‘green’ wedding of your dreams. Continue reading to discover ten great ways to help out the planet without having to sacrifice the elegant look and feel of your big day.
1. Hold the wedding ceremony and reception at the same location. This means your guests are not going to use their vehicles to release any more harmful gases to the environment. It is also convenient for the guests and your wedding budget as well.
2. When choosing flowers for your decor and bouquets choose flowers that are local and seasonal. This will reduce any unnecessary transportation from occurring and hazardous fossil fuels released into the environment.
3. Make your wedding invitations out of eco-friendly materials such as 100% recycled paper. Electronic invitations are another great way to be earth friendly when planning your wedding.
4. Give out wedding favors that benefit the earth! Packets of seeds, saplings, mini gardening tools or yummy treats made of organic ingredients are excellent choices.
5. Provide recycling bins at your venue. This will ensure that glass bottles and cans will be recycled instead of thrown away and put to waste.
6. Incorporate local produce into your wedding meals as much as possible. This means delicious organic foods that have not been exposed to pesticides and of course you will not be contributing to the transportation of food from across the state causing even more emission of unnecessary hazardous fossil fuels.
7. Candles are a popular aspect of any wedding. Opt for candles that are soy or honeycomb based because they are beautiful, just as versatile as normal candles but do not release harmful carbon when being burned.
8. When designing your centerpieces, use recycled materials. Place candles in mason jars, use large branches to gracefully hang candles, or old soup cans painted and decorated to hold flowers.
9. Honeymooning locally is an excellent way to give your wedding an earth-friendly touch. Opt for a local bed and breakfast or luxury spa to kick off your new marriage.
10. When serving your wedding meals, use earth-friendly materials. Recycled glass is a great choice but if you want to use disposable plates and cups, chose ones made from compostable materials such as corn-based plastic or sugar cane.