Exercise indoors with your children when they’re restless and when you need a metabolism boost. It’s common knowledge that short (10-15 minute) bursts of activity throughout the day can help you lose weight just as well as a full workout. When your list of snow day activities for kids includes exercise, everyone wins!
Fun Indoor Exercises:
- Airplane Lie on your back, hold your child’s hands, put your feet on their tummy, and blastoff! Slowly circling your legs give them the thrill of flying while toning your glutes, abs and core.
- Dance It’s fun, easy, and gets everyone involved. Turn up the tunes and get as wild and weird as you want.
- Pantomime Mouths off for 15 minutes or so, and try to guess each other’s thoughts with movement. Dramatic acting led by you can get very physical and funny!
- Touch the Ceiling Soar your youngest kids into the air to touch door frames or the ceiling. They get a big thrill and will want you to do it all over the house. Grab them under the armpits and start your motion from a deep squat. The full movement will engage your legs, glutes, core, arms and back.
- Pillow Fight Maybe this is against the rules at your house… but not at mine! At least not when another big snow storm is headed our way. Probably best for older kids, this is a good activity for taking out aggression, too and can turn bickering into laughing in no time.
- Horsey If your knees can take it, this will effectively exercise your body and your patience. Get on all fours and let the kiddo ride your back. To rev it up, make it a rodeo ride and buck and kick. Just don’t let your little cowpoke wear spurs.
- Simon Says As with pantomime, with a little help from you, this game can involve dramatic movements and speed to get you warmed up on a cold day.
- Fitness Video It seems lame but, believe me, doing them with your kids is hilarious. Everyone looks goofy, but works hard. For maximum entertainment results, go to the library and get a video from a couple decades ago.
- Wii When movements and gestures are done correctly, Wii games can very effectively mimic the intensity of real sports.
- Clean Oh they’re gonna hate this! But if everyone jumps in for a quick power clean, it can raise your heart rate and get a bunch done fast. Assign each kid a task and make a game out of getting it done quickly. Remember Mary Poppins – “In every task that must be done, there is an element of fun…”
As the winter weather continues to bear down, stay warm, stay safe, stay indoors, and stay fit. Good luck!