All my life I’ve been an insomniac and an around-the-clock eater, which for most people go hand in hand. For a long time I did not know that what you eat before bed could potentially help you sleep better or keep you from getting a full nights rest. Since I often get hungry at night, I decided to learn what foods were okay to eat before bed or if I woke up in the middle of the night. Here are some of the best late-night snacks you can enjoy without worrying about weight gain and interrupted sleep.
1. Cheese– One of the best foods you can eat if you are hungry before bed is a few slices of cheese. Natural cheese has tryptophan, the same ingredient found in turkey that makes you full and sleepy. Stay away from American cheese since it is loaded with fat and almost completely oil, which could cause heartburn while laying down.
2. Air Popped Popcorn– While microwave popcorn may sound delicious while you’re in bed watching your favorite movie, choose the healthier counterpart. Air popping your popcorn will allow you to control the toppings and sodium you ingest while keeping you full overnight.
3. Hard Boiled Eggs– Lately one of the foods I reach for in the middle of the night has been a hard boiled egg. Protein breaks down slower in your stomach than other foods, keeping you feeling full until the next morning.
4. Yogurt– If you want a quick healthy snack you can enjoy a cup of low or no-fat yogurt at any time of day. Not only is this easy on your body but it is also rich in helpful bacteria that aids the body’s digestion. Try freezing in an ice cube tray for a healthy frozen treat.
5. Dark Chocolate– Dark chocolate has up to 70 percent less sugar than traditional milk chocolate but will still help stop your sweet tooth cravings at night. Not only will you get your chocolate fix, but also be eating antioxidants and releasing endorphins into your brain at the same time promoting a healthier body.
6. Fruit– If you’re craving sugar but don’t like chocolate, instead try eating a few fresh fruits. Apples, bananas, strawberries, and blueberries will all satisfy your appetite without adding any weight to your stomach. Not only will you be full but you will get a good boost in extra nutrients as well.
7. Sweet Potato Chips or Oven Baked Fries– If you need a food that has a little more sodium or fat choose sweet potato fries or chips over their normal counterparts. This will fill you up with half the calories of their big brother’s snack foods.
8. Turkey Roll Up– If you’re craving protein but don’t want to eat cheese or nuts, try a turkey roll up. Just take one or two slices of turkey and roll it with a piece of romaine lettuce for a delicious snack. The tryptophan in turkey will help you get a full nights sleep.
9. Whole Grain Snacks– If reaching for a bag of dry snacks is your preferred late night go to, buy a bag of multigrain pretzels or crackers for a healthier alternative to your normal potato chips, flour pretzels, and saltines.
10. Pistachios– For about a hundred calories you can eat between 30 and 40 of these delicious nuts. Not only will you feel full through the night but you will be ingesting muscle building protein to prepare you for the next day.
No matter which of these you choose, you can’t go wrong with these healthy snacks to feel full all night without packing on the pounds. If you have late night cravings, don’t worry you can still reach your weight loss goals. Enjoy and good luck!
Healthy Late Night Snacks- Livestrong
The Truth About Late Night Eating and Weight Loss- Daily Health Post
For more diet and heath reading from this author, check out:
Five Great Low-Calorie Beers You Should Give a Shot
8 Natural Diuretics to Add to Your Diet
How to Stop Cravings for Unhealthy Food