Bipolar disorder, broadly defined, is a mood disorder that millions of people attempt to manage on a daily basis. Individuals who have this disorder often experience extreme mood swings.
Here are 10 interesting facts about the mood disorder:
1. A number of famous people have bipolar disorder. Some of them are comedian Russell Brand, the late Kurt Cobain, and actor Richard Dreyfuss.
2. It has been estimated that 3% of the global population have bipolar disorder. It is also interesting to note that the disorder affects both men and women equally, and is common among racial and ethnic populations.
3. There is treatment available for people who suffer from the mental health disorder. The most common forms of treatment are mood stabilizing medication and psychotherapy.
4. Unfortunately, although millions of people are affected by the disorder, people who have it are still negatively treated by society. These people often experience social stigma, hurtful stereotypes, and prejudice.
5. An interesting fact about the disorder is that there are several levels of it. For instance, there is one level called hypomania, and people who experience this level are filled with energy and can engage in high degrees of achievement.
6. An unfortunate aspect of bipolar disorder is that individuals who suffer from the disorder may experience manic episodes. Broadly defined, manic episodes are when people have a difficult time getting through their daily activities because of an elevated mood. These individuals may also suffer from racing thoughts and a thinking pattern that is hard to break. Lastly, these manic episodes may also cause individuals to engage in anti social behavior that might cause them to be sent to a psychiatric hospital.
7. Some people who have bipolar disorder also have other mental disorders. It is possible for people who have bipolar disorder to also have obsessive-compulsive disorder, eating disorders, and panic disorders.
8. Another interesting fact about the serious mental disorder is that there has been some recent debate about whether or not cannabis usage can cause bipolar disorder.
9. As previously mentioned, there are some types of treatment available for those who have bipolar disorder. Another possible treatment is light therapy. It should be noted that evidence has not pointed out that one treatment is better than the others. Also, people might need many different types of treatment to help them cope.
10. The last interesting fact about bipolar disorder is that there are some alternative ways to help one manage. For example, adding omega 3 fatty acids to one’s diet might be helpful.
“Bipolar Disorder: Overview & Facts,” WebMD.
Margarita Tartakovsky, “Bipolar Disorder Fact Sheet,” Psych Central.
“What Is Bipolar Disorder?,” National Institute of Mental Health.