Gifts that give back aren’t just for adults. Giving gifts with a bigger purpose helps children learn that the world doesn’t revolve around them. Here are gifts that will please any child while offering a chance to learn about others and think globally.
1. A Batik Crayon Roll from Delicate Fortress Creations is perfect for the little artist on the go. These soft, handmade, and beautiful pouches will excite any child to get creative. A portion of the proceeds from every purchase goes directly toward fighting poverty in Malaysia by providing sustainable employment for women.
2. How about a School Bus, Pirate Ship, or Flower Set from Plan Toys to make your youngster smile? These are just a few of the options for a company committed to preserving the environment through sustainable production practices.
3. From Baroque Blocks to Groovie Blocks , you’ll find blocks and puzzles for kids of all ages at Rosie Hippo Toys. This toy company with a conscience gives to charities such as Room to Grow (enriches lives of children born into poverty), Charity: Water (provides clean water to developing nations), and The Young Survival Coalition (YSC) (increases quality and quantity of life for women with breast cancer).
4. How about a Kitty Tales Book and Katarina Set from Sevenly? This cute stuffed kitty and soft cover book are sure to bring a smile to your little one. Sevenly is an organization that chooses a weekly charity to focus on, and $7 of each purchase goes directly to the featured charity of the week. It’s an ingenious idea to help spread the word about amazing charities working to make a difference.
5. The DIY Wooden Peg Doll Family Kit is a perfect gift to bring families together. Kids can personalize their own little wooden doll family. The Goosegrease Etsy shop has a Fair Trade agreement with a carpenter in Bogota, Columbia who uses non-toxic paints and Urapan wood. The doll kits are suitable for ages three and up.
6. Kauzbots are the perfect choice for the little giver in your life. Choose the stuffed robot that corresponds to a cause close to his or her heart. Each cause has a different mascot robot. Causes include homelessness, environmentalism, breast cancer, autism, hunger and poverty, world refugees, oral pediatric health, childhood cancer, and clean water. With each robot purchased, 10% goes to the specified cause.
7. From Aloe Tree, the Knox Fox Steel Blue ‘Think Fast’ Tee is sure to become a new favorite. A portion of the purchase price of this soft, organic T-shirt goes to fight child trafficking overseas. This company’s commitment to character building, Fair Trade, quality, and giving make them a great choice.
8. Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies from Cookies for Kids’ Cancer will make tummies happy while providing grant research funds to help find better treatment options for kids’ cancer. Pediatric cancer centers supported by Cookies for Kids’ Cancer include Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, St Jude Children’s Research Hospital, and Texas Children’s Cancer Center.
9. The quality Hatch magnetic car block building kit from Tegu will live on for generations in your family. Its sturdy construction and unique concept make it a perfect heirloom gift for kids age three and up. Tegu is committed to social responsibility, and all their toys are made in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. When you purchase from Tegu, you can choose if you’d like to support reforestation and/or education efforts in Honduras.
10. A Fly High Paper Bird Mobile from Mercy House would brighten any room. Each mobile contains one unique dove, and 25% of each purchase goes to support the girl who made it by offering her education and business opportunities.
More About Conscious Consumerism From Lori:
Everlane and Rodale’s: Two Companies for Conscious Consumers to Consider
How to Live Simply: Get Started Now
The Over-Consumption of America: Do We Really Need More Stuff?