Dogs are family members, best friends and excellent travel companions. Bringing along your canine on a vacation may require extra preparation but it makes the trip much more delightful. The key to stress-free travels with a dog is packing the a great dog suitcase. When traveling with a dog, be sure to pack these essential items for happy and safe travels from point A to point B.
1. Yummy treats. When you’re on your way to your destination, yummy treats will help keep your dog going strong. These will also come in handy when they deserve a special reward and will help keep them satisfied when waiting between meals.
2. Retractable leash. A quality retractable leash provides you and your doggy with the best of both words – they can roam free but you still have control over where they go.
3. Travel kennel. A spacious travel kennel is a must-have for owners when they are traveling with a dog. Look for one with a roomy interior because this will help them remain calm and secure whether you are on wheels or in the sky.
4. Travel bowls. Collapsible food and water bowls are a great option for the traveling dog. These will not take up a lot of space and they allow you to quench your dog’s thirst and satisfy their hungry without making a mess while on-the-go.
5. Fun toys. A bored canine is not a pleasure to travel with, so be sure to pack along some new toys to keep them entertained. Many pet stores offer squeaker toys with high-pitched frequencies so only other dogs can hear them – this is a good option for those who are traveling on a plane because these seemingly silent toys will not annoy other passengers.
6. Dog First Aid Kit. Unfortunately, accidents do happen, so be prepared by bringing along a veterinarian-approved dog first aid kit which should include various items such as antiseptic wipes, bandages, gauze and tweezers.
7. Life jacket. If your trip involves being around water, keep your pup safe by packing them a life jacket. Check your local pet store for a life jacket for dogs.
8. Something from home. Some dogs may get anxiety while traveling. To prevent this, bring along their favorite toy or blanket. A familiar item will keep them happy during your travels and will comfort them until it is time to go home.
9. Bath wipes. Stash a pack of doggy bath wipes in your suitcase so your dog can be freshened up when things start to get a little dirty.
10. Dog food. When traveling with a dog, it is crucial that you pack along plenty of dog food. The last thing that you want is to be stuck in the middle of an airport with a starving dog and no food for them. Delays happen so be prepared.
Furthermore, you should check-in with your dog’s veterinarian before leaving as they will make sure that your dog is healthy enough to embark on your planned travels. While you are there, be sure to pick up a copy of their health and vaccination records to pack as well.