Summer is almost upon us, and whether you’re headed to the local farmers market, mall, casual office or bar to escape the heat, those inexplicable changes in temperature can make it difficult to know what to wear and when.
That cool chic lightweight linen dress (that looked just darling on the hanger at your favorite retail store) may leave you shivering once inside the club or movie theater. Those cool graphic t-shirts with the rocking cutouts on the shoulders or bodice also leave you open and exposed to the elements during an unexpected rain storm. The properly placed accessory can do more than just glam up a casual outfit. It might just help you out in those times when you can’t plan for a jam.
Here are three stylish, timeless and unisex fashion accessories currently trending that are easy (and affordable) transitional pieces for summer;
- Get your scarf on: The coordinating or bold-colored scarf– a 48 inch length lightweight scarf can work wonders for either sex. Scarves are multifunctional with multiple purposes as it can be worn; on (the head or neck) and around (the shoulders, hips, or waist). If there is ever a need (with a rubber band, scrunchie, safety pins, or even cleverly knotted) can transform a scarf into a quick carry-all for small last minute purchases when you’re out on the go. Intricate knotting of a scarf can also dress up a plain tee or sleeveless mid-length dress, and is fashion forward regardless of height, weight or style. World renowned ladies men like Johnny Depp, as well as Lenny Kravitz, have also been known to wear chic tribal scarves in neutral colors. So, fellas, don’t hesitate to loosely tie one on when leaving the office to hit the late night hotspots. When properly executed, (with a button down shirt and casual slacks or loose cut jeans) the lovely ladies will still be impressed. (Tips for scarves loosely based on Stacie Grissom’s article published on The Fashion Spot.com. 1.19.2012. 15 Chic and Creative Ways to Tie a Scarf)
- Head games: The knit hat– A natural fiber loose-knit hat not only regulates the body’s temperature without overheating, it can also cover up beach/pool hair in a pinch. (As an avid knitter/crochet enthusiast, I must say, I prefer to knit my own.) There are many department stores, flea markets and online craft communities with just as many styles and techniques to choose from. So look around, mix it up and play it up because (for either sex, any shape face and height of the wearer): a nice knit hat is not just for winter anymore!
- Hemp jewelry: chokers, necklaces and bracelets (Oh, my!)- Hemp jewelry is a timeless fashion accessory that transcends any style from rocker chicks to Girl Scout Cub leaders. This do-it-yourself sustainable fashion is also unisex, comes in an assortment of colors and can be easily tailored to fit your needs with silver charms, colorful beads, and sea shells. Even Hollywood A-listers like Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey have been known to wear these hip trendy fashion expressions. Budgeting for affordable multipurpose accessories leaves more time and money for enjoying the summer fun.
For more on trendy summer fashion accessories and places to purchase: please visit these links;
1. Scarves.com- This website has fun long fashion forward scarves (as well as other accessories) in a wide range of styles fit for summer fun.
2. Global Hemp- This website has wonderfully affordable all natural kits ready to purchase. Fun for any age and environmentally responsible Global Hemp shows exactly how diverse hemp jewelry can be.
3. Amazon.com- Not just for books and movies, Amazon also has a nice selection of knit or crochet hats that are affordable, trendy, and appropriate for all seasons! You can also find a number of fun hip accessories for every occasion.