Advice on graduation day is common. Some advice is a bit awkward to give; it still needs to be said. Pretend this comes from you strange, wise aunt.
Uncommon advice for graduates.
1. Look for a path. Don’t use the road.
Someone’s else’s success isn’t necessarily for you.
2. Make sure that what you take from the world you have the right to.
You should deserve to possess it because you’ll be responsible for it.
3. If at first you don’t succeed, try something different.
Persistence should be logical and justify the effort.
4. Succeed slowly.
Succeeding too quickly prevents enjoying the trip and learning along the way.
5. Risk failing.
It’s a chance to see from a different perspective.
6. Place a premium on your time.
Always saying yes only makes you weak.
7. Be your own toughest critic, and your most supportive coach.
You know what you need to hear.
8. If it’s right support it.
You’re a citizen of the world. Contribute.
9. If it’s wrong fix it.
If all you do is complain, shut up.
10. If you mean it, sign it.
Anonymous statements lack validity, character, and courage.
11. Laugh at yourself.
Even the most serious mistakes benefit from a smile.
12. Do it because it’s the right thing to do.
Your actions should accomplish what you intend and reflect your character.
13. Ask the questions everyone else wants to ask.
There are stupid questions, but they need to be asked anyway.
Some advice from Shakespeare: “To thine own self be true.”
14. Don’t focus only on what’s in-front of you. Look around.
Opportunity isn’t always where you’re looking.
15. Let go when it’s time.
Moving on is healthy.
16. Listen before you speak.
Too many statements go unheard or unacknowledged.
17. Argue fairly. Concede graciously. Win humbly. Play by the rules.
You’ll sleep better.
18. Choose to act when not acting would be easier.
Courage needs exercise.
19. Pack your trash.
Fix your mistakes; you made the mess, clean it up.
20. Look people in the eye.
Even when you bow.
21. Always spend wisely.
When you don’t, save double what you squandered.
22. Whisper when you want to shout.
You’ll get more attention.
23. Give when it seems unnecessary.
You have no idea what the back story is.
24. When you’re up against an impossible problem, go help someone else.
It’ll get your mind off yourself.
25. The world is your oyster, chew slowly.
Nothing says you can’t enjoy your success.
Congratulations! Get out there and change the world. Good luck!