For a long time now I have been a practitioner of yoga. But then, I fell out of it, and I’ve been getting back into it ever since. Along the way, I have rediscovered why I love yoga.
1. Deep breaths. It’s no secret that taking deep breaths relieves stress. I was amazed that when I started doing it again, how quickly I could relieve my stress during a yoga sequence. Taking the time to take any deep breaths at all is really good for you, but making sure you take deep breaths for an hour? Yeah, stress relief is a given. In addition to this, the deep breaths help you move into the positions and really feel the flow. It’s so wonderful.
2. Centering myself. It may sound a little hokey, but those moments after a long day, and a one hour push of yoga, when I place my hands together and say “namaste” are the best moments of my day. Coming back to my practice of yoga, it was delightful to remember that feeling again. To feel centered and calm is a great way to workout.
3. Re-aligning. My back problems were why I started yoga in the first place, and I said for years “that whole two years that I did yoga, my back didn’t hurt that whole time.” But, after not doing it for a while I have done some damage, and am still in the process of realigning myself and improving my posture throughout the day. The pain has immensely improved and I am sitting up straighter. And it’s only been two weeks.
4. Great sleep. Enough said. I forgot how easily I slip into sleep when I’ve spent an hour in the evening relaxing my body and mind. On top of that, I wake up refreshed and ready for the day. I am kicking myself for going without it for so long.
5. Alone time. The reason I didn’t do yoga was because I wasn’t making time for myself. Which everyone should absolutely do. Now, I get that alone time to be inside my body and mind and working for my greater self. I also really don’t like working out in public at the gym. It is not for me, and I think a lot of people feel that way too. Why not try a nice, soothing, at home workout?
6. Feel great. After two weeks I already feel so much more amazing. I have less fatigue, I am sitting up straighter, and my stress level is much lower. I can’t believe I ever stopped doing it. I have to keep up the good work, because I seriously love yoga.