How much sodium are we supposed to have in a day? According to the Mayo Clinic, you should consume less than 2,300 mg a day unless you are age 51 or older. Another consideration is if you have high blood pressure, you want to check with your doctor as to how much you should limit yourself to.
Here are a few recipes that are low in sodium:
2 16oz cans low-sodium garbanzo beans, rinse, drain and keep 1/4 C of the liquid
1 T extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 C lemon juice
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
4 T tahini
2 T chopped parsley, Italian flat-leaf
In a blender or food processor, add the garbanzo beans and blend until smooth. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, paprika, tahini and parsley. Blend well. Add the reserved 1/4 cup liquid a little at a time until the mixture resembles a thick spread.
- 2-1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 4-1/2 Cups of all purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup of lukewarm water and let set until it foams.
- Add the olive oil, honey and 1 cup of flour and mix using your hands.
- Put the dough mixture in your Kitchen aide or other mixer and mix on knead or slow setting and be sure to use the dough hooks.
- Add the last 1/4 C of flour slowly until a ball is formed and does not stick to the sides of the bowl.
- Clean the mixing bowl and wipe with olive oil then place the dough inside and cover with a damp towel or you can always us plastic wrap.
- When the dough is doubled in size it is ready to use.
This will make either two cookie sheet sized pizzas or four medium pizzas.
Broccoli, Avocado Dip:
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tab lemon juice
- 1 Tab mayonnaise
- 3 Tab onions finely chopped
- 1/4 C sour cream
- 2 C fresh broccoli, chopped (previously cooked and chilled)
Simply combined all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Chill for several hours. To serve you can use any tortilla chip or a variety of vegetables.
You are only limited by your imagination, be creative and do your research and you will find the foods and recipes you can have are nearly endless.