I have gained and lost a lot of weight in my life, and one thing stays the same – it’s hard work! When I decided I wanted to slim down for summer this year, I started doing some research on how to change my diet. I discovered there are five foods that will turbo-charge fat loss and help drop the pounds faster.
1. Blueberries. Blueberries are full of vitamins and fiber, which will help you feel full faster, and stay that way longer. Blueberries also contain catechins which activates fat loss in the stomach. Blueberries have amazing health benefits besides fat loss and are great for an easy snack, or throwing in a smoothie. Frozen blueberries are great to throw in lunches because if you throw them in a container frozen, they will unthaw by lunchtime.
2. Avocados. It might seem like an oxymoron to eat avocados for fat loss since they ARE fat, but the oleic acid found in avocados induces fat burning and satiates hunger. While fat intake should still be limited, the majority of it should be in the form of oleic acid. Avocados make a great garnish to a salad or protein dish.
3. Soy Protein. Its no secret that protein is a must for weight loss, but soy protein packs even more of a punch because you get all the protein, without all the saturated fat. Soy also contains healthy fat and fiber, two of the biggest contributors to fat burning. Tofu is a good way to add some soy protein to your diet as a meat replacement, or endamame for snacks.
4. Lentils. Lentils are full of iron, a nutrient that many of us lack. When iron levels normalize, the metabolism speeds up, thus burning more fat. Lentils are very versatile and can be used in a lot of different dishes. One if my favorites is substituting lentils for ground beef in sloppy joes.
5. Hot Peppers. Hot peppers get their spiciness from the capsaiscin in them, which ramps up the metabolism and heats up the body, making it burn more calories. They are also very versatile because you can eat them raw, in cooked dishes, sprinkle spices in your dishes, or even add some hot sauce. Whether it is cayenne, or jalapeño, peppers will help melt the fat off of your body.
Sources: Womenshealthmag.com, health.com