I can make this real simple for you, follow her instructions. That’s it. Oh, you wanted a bit more I see. When my wife and I first vacationed together, I wish I would have had someone to warn me. So much planning, organizing, agendas and all that nonsense, I thought we could just go. Well, you can’t:
- 1. Plan your destination – be aware, her side is in the middle already- so be ready for something cute and romantic, it’s okay.
- 2. Make sure to have season appropriate clothing, check out the temperatures where you are going so you don’t wind up in shorts when you should have worn a snow suit.
- 3. Please make sure you help her, offer to take the luggage a month ahead of time and put it in the garage so you don’t forget it.
- 4. Keep all important papers like passports, emergency contact and such in a big yellow envelope in your carry-on bag. You can’t miss it and it saves a lot of time.
- 5. If you are flying, remember not to wear your belt, use slip on shoes if you can anything to get through that frisking exam room, I mean security check point faster. It will save you from “THE LOOK”
- 6. Always make sure you have singles so you can use vending machines and tip appropriately at airports and hotels.
- 7. Be Prepared to wait sometimes, it is hard to take your first vacation together and have everything run smoothly. Don’t be in a rush, you are on vacation. There is no other more important place you need to be than right where you are. Just Smile and Yes, Dear.
- 8. Before you leave double check double check, this includes, your house, car, cab, plane, hotel room everything. Somewhere, you will leave something, probably your phone or camera charger.
- 9. If you really want to make an impression, make her a reservation spa, meal, attraction. Something you really know she likes. She would do it for you in a heartbeat, give back. P.S. You can cheat, stop at the front desk – they will do it for you. shh.
- 10 Don’t bring home with you on vacation. You are leaving for a reason. Enjoy your time gone, it goes double time because you are not at work. Enjoy the time you have together and explore a calmer happier side before marriage and kids come along. You won’t have another moment like this until they leave the nest, if ever.
I have always declared that a “Happy Wife is a Happy Life” so far I have been right. I work, she takes care of everything else for us and is happy to do so as long as we love and respect her. All kidding aside, enjoy life.