Mother’s Day is here! What better way to honor your Mom and Grandmother, than opening up the recipe drawer to a good old fashioned Mother’s Day brunch. There is lots of love and plenty of memories in the recipes that have been passed down from mother to daughter. This is a good way to enjoy Mother’s Day and celebrate a tradition that a Mother or Grandmother started with her home cooking. Here are two of my all-time favorite recipes that my Grandma Caraway made. The only substitution is agave for sugar.
Grandma’s Spiced Fruit
10-12 one cup servings
3 medium oranges (peeled, sectioned, seeds removed, reserve some of the orange rind)
2 15 oz cans of pineapple chunks (reserve the juice)
2 apricots (peeled and chunked)
3 tablespoons orange juice
3 pears (peeled, cored and chunked, save a few of the peels)
3 apples(peeled, cored and chunked, save a few of the peels)
2 cups/jars marachismo seedless cherries (remove the stems, reserve the juice)
6 whole cloves
3 (2-inch) cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup agave
1/2 stick butter (or equivalent)
- Peel apples, apricots, oranges and pears. Remove the cores and seeds. Save the peels and set aside.
- Drain the pineapple juice, and the cherry juice from the fruit.
- Combine all the fruit in a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan combine pineapple and cherry juice. Add in 1/2 stick of butter, 3 tablespoons of orange juice, the cinnamon and the agave. Throw in the cloves and a smattering ot apple, pear and orange peels.
- Cook on low. Simmer till butter is melted and all ingredients are combined (about 7-10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and drain contents (removing and discarding rinds, peels and whole spices).
- Pour over fruit. Toss fruit to mix. Cover and chill till it’s time to serve.
4 Sliced fresh peaches (peeled, pits removed and discarded)
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch of nutmeg
4 tablespoons melted margarine
- Grease a 10″ baking dish and cover the bottom with the peaches.
- In a small bowl combine the crumbled graham crackers, cinnamon nutmeg, and melted butter.
- Mix until ingredients are moist and combined. Pour evenly over peaches.
- Bake on 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.