The PS4 has already sold over 7 million units, which means the PS3 is nearing the end of its cycle. Within a few years, games will stop being released for it and a few years after that PSN will likely shut down for it. But for now, you can still purchase and download games from PSN. Even though many PS3 games are now out of production physically, they are still available on PSN. If you are considering buying games, now is the time to do it. The following are the top ten best full PS3 games available for download on PSN.
10. Alice: Madness Returns – Admittedly, this game does not quite live up to the hype of the original American McGee’s Alice, but it is still something of a masterpiece. More importantly, when you download this game, the original game is also included in your purchase. Two games for the price of one, one of which is a true classic, is a great deal.
9. Bioshock – This spiritual successor to System Shock 2 is still arguably the best game in the Bioshock series. If you’ve never played it, you will be amazed by how quickly the ambience draws you in. If you have played it, it has enough replay value to play again and again. Whether you are visiting Rapture for the first time or the 10th, this game is brilliant.
8. Infamous – Two sequels have already been released for this game, so you have plenty of options if you enjoy the franchise. But, if you are new to it, due to the fact that this game was once made available for free, the price on this game has dropped considerably. Grab it to enjoy cool electrical powers, a simple alignment system, and hours of parkour action.
7. Red Dead Redemption – A western themed action game doesn’t seem like game of the year material, but it easily dominated the competition when it was released. A heartbreaking story keeps you coming back, even when faced with some teeth gritting moments. The biggest flaw with this game is that there is a good chance the story has already been ruined for you if you never played it before.
6. Borderlands 2 – This combination role playing game and first person shooter appeals to fans of multiple genres. The loot system and character development in the game are somewhat akin to Diablo, while the action is more like Doom, and questing feels more like Skyrim. It is a fun game with a great sense of humor. But beware. The difficulty curve can be frightful if you pick the wrong character to begin.
5. Saints Row: The Third – This game is basically a version of Grand Theft Auto with all the censors removed, as crazy as that sounds. It doesn’t mind being over the top in every single way. Bigger guns, raunchier jokes, and a much more implausible story make it the kind of game that you simply soak in when you are in the mood for fun without thinking.
4. Mass Effect 2 – Mass Effect 2 is the darling of this space themed role playing game. With excellent real time game play and meaningful decisions, the game appealed to a wide audience. One of the best things about owning Mass Effect 2 is you can pretend that it never had a sequel and make up your own plot for how the series ends.
3. God of War Collection – As odd as it seems to buy two PS2 games on the PS3, this bundle is worth your money. It combines the original God of War and its sequel. Even though the series has moved past those games, they still hold up relatively well. And, just like with Alice: Madness Returns, getting two games is a sweet deal, especially when both are classics.
2. XCOM: Enemy Within – XCOM: Enemy Unknown was a nearly perfect remake of the original XCOM: UFO Defense. The key word in that sentence is “nearly.” XCOM: Enemy Within tweaks Enemy Unknown with a small but meaningful set of improvements that easily makes it the best turn based tactics game ever released. If you like this genre even a little, this game is a must-buy.
1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves – This game is a love letter to any fan of the Indiana Jones movies. The game puts you in the boots of Nathan Drake, who is the ultimate explorer. The action game play perfectly mixes tight controls and the occasional fully rendered quick time event to give you the feeling like you truly are Nathan. The only possible flaw is that the stunning visuals may distract you so much that you actually stop playing and get killed.