The 7th generation of consoles, which includes the Nintendo Wii, Sony Playstation 3, and Microsoft XBOX 360 is coming to a close. The new generation promises better graphics, more interactivity, and hopefully better games. While the 7th generation is almost over, there are still plenty of games available and the consoles are relatively cheap. Despite an early start, the PS3 ended the 7th generation with more exclusives and generally higher rated games overall. Online gaming never fully took off on the system, but the excellent single player games made up for that. If you are looking to fill out your library games, try some of the following top ten best PS3 exclusives.
10. Beyond: Two Souls – Beyond: Two Souls is more of an interactive movie than a video game. Beautiful graphics and exceptional voice acting were the highlights of this experience. The game play itself was surprisingly clunky for a modern game, but if you are simply looking for an aesthetic experience, there isn’t anything better on the PS3.
9. Gran Turismo 5 – If you have ever looked at a car and thought to yourself, “How would that fare in a race,” Gran Turismo is the game for you. The game prides itself on ultra-realism and over 1,000 cars to race. If you prefer to master a single type of car, this isn’t your game, but if you just want to try racing everything, it is.
8. Heavy Rain – Heavy Rain is essentially the spiritual successor to Beyond: Two Souls, and despite being made first, it is the better game. It is better because it has a much more gripping plot and quick time elements that make the game feel more interactive. The story is much darker, though, so it may not appeal to some audiences.
7. Infamous – Capitalizing on the sudden popularity of parkour, Infamous made a splash when released in 2009 and got a boost in popularity from being offered as a free download two years later. The game mixed parkour movement with action combat. While unusual powers are common in games, electricity was a source of powers that was largely unexplored and the creative uses in this game made it an instant classic.
6. Killzone 2 – The Killzone series is a rare first person shooter series on the PS3. Unlike games like Halo, this game focuses on using cover to hide from enemy fire. It also has one of the best multiplayer environments of any PS3 game. If you enjoy first person shooters, this is a rare stand out on the PS3.
5. Metal Gear Solid 4 – This installment concludes the epic storyline of Solid Snake. Game play has grown more complex than previous iterations, in great deal focusing on the psychological wear and tear of the aging spy. While it is very innovative, it may be too complex for some people who just want a simple stealth game. But, if you’ve been following this story for the past three games, at least the ending is quite satisfying.
4. Valkyria Chronicles – This game is first tactical RPG in decades to truly break out of the mold. It doesn’t just stagger turn based actions between the player and the computer, but allows a much more intricate control of the flow of battle, by giving the player more free-form control over his characters. Fans of Disgaea, XCOM, or Final Fantasy Tactics should definitely give this a try.
3. God of War III – God of War III is the culminating game in the series. The story is just as epic as the last two installments, but much more importantly, game play has been ramped up by a few notches. This isn’t a game for methodical play. It is an action orgy. Few games fit this game play style and this is easily the best of those.
2. LittleBigPlanet – A cute little platformer may seem like an odd game for the PS3, but this cute little platformer hit all the right buttons. The main single player campaign showcases the realm of possibilities for this type of game. But the real selling point was the ability of players to create and share new maps. The genius of millions of creative people is undeniable and made this game infinitely enjoyable, almost literally.
1. Uncharted 2 – Uncharted 2 hit every high mark the year it was released. From graphics to story to game play, it simply amazed in every way. The game is an action game that truly makes you feel like you are right in the middle of a pulp movie. If you want to see the best the PS3 has to offer, this is it.