Everyone who searches online for potential dates and probably a soul mate has all experienced the loneliness of the single life. There is no fun in showing up solo with all your coupled friends. Here are my top five tips for online dating:
- Meet and Greet in Public– I don’t care how long the two of you have been messaging on the computer, phones or even talked on the phone. I always made sure that anyone I met; I did so in a full public manner. I never wanted someone to know where my children and I lived.
- Short First Date– Try to keep your first date sweet and simple. Perhaps meet at a coffee house, a local diner, or even for an afternoon early evening drink. I always preferred a local diner or a coffee. I had many friends coming in and out and knew the waitress by name. Everyone looked out for everyone.
- Don’t Hype Yourself up – Try to keep things in perspective. Go into the date knowing that this person may not be who they represented themselves to be. More often than not, they look nothing like their picture and act nothing like their profile.
- Create an Exit Plan– Always have a way out. If you do not have access to a cellphone, make sure to meet in a place that has more than one way out, if you become uncomfortable or really not interested and they don’t seem to be taking the hint, cut them loose. Take a bathroom break and haul out of there. If you have a cell phone as almost everyone does, set an alarm on it so you can pretend it’s a phone call, or have a friend call you to get you out of there.
- Best Time of Day– For your own safety, try and meet the person at an early hour like between five and eight pm. You want the first meeting to be in daylight hours so that you are clearly visible to others and you can keep your wits about you should you have to bail out.
Online dating isn’t for everyone but it can be a lot of fun. I was a match, yahoo and paltalk member and got to experience a lot of community activities that I would never have had. They arrange family meeting at the theaters and shows. The most important thing is to always keep yourself safe. There is nothing worse than meeting the “one” and having them turn out to be a crazed lunatic.