No matter what search term I use, there is always an option to the side of the page for me to link with my favored social media (or two) and see what someone else knows.
When I searched for owls, I was given the option of reading random tweets on the subject. When I searched for bicycles, I was given a link to a blog on building them. When I searched for social media, I was given the option of signing into Facebook or Twitter and seeing what my friends have to say on the subject.
While I enjoy hearing my friends’ opinions on things, it scares me to see how completely social media is taking over the internet.
Here are my top five reasons to watch what you say in your posts:
- Why risk looking stupid to the entire world??
- One of the things that my friends enjoy sharing on our chosen site, is lists of silly or downright stupid things that people have written. I don’t often see anything shared with the preface “They really worked hard to research this post!”
- Why risk your future employability?
- As social media becomes more and more mainstream, the pictures and sassy posts that you zing off at the spur of the moment can come back to haunt you later.
- That half naked, beer in hand, senior trip picture can make a future boss think twice about even interviewing you.
- Why risk your relationships?
- Posting every little fight and ranting how you are ‘DONE’ and then going right back to him/her can ruin not only your love life, but your friendships as well. No one needs to know EVERYTHING about everything.
- Future partners might not want to even ask you out if they have seen your serial dating posts, or your crazy drama posts. Keep it low key and just enjoy yourself.
- Why risk your family?
- Seriously, your mom/dad/Grandma/sister/boyfriend’s aunt can all search and find your posts. Why upset them with nastiness or drama? Besides, someday your child might read your old page.
- Why risk your business?
- After months of building your business’s reputation through social media, everything can be lost through one misplaced comment or inappropriate picture.