Borderlands 2 has six playable characters each with unique skills and play styles. The decision of which character to play can be a hard one, especially if you don’t know the characters very well. They each have a significant effect on how you play the game. When choosing, you will want the character that is the best fit for you. The following are the top five reasons to play as Salvador the Gunzerker in Borderlands 2.
5. You Hate Downtime – While fans of role playing games don’t tend to mind so much, fans of first person shooters tend to dislike the way the game slows down when you have to return to town, loot bodies, or loot boxes. You can’t avoid it completely, but if you invest in the Rampage skill tree of Salvador, you can reduce your need to buy or loot ammo. The entire tree is about increasing your ammo supply in various ways, which means, in the long run, that you have a lot less downtime. If you just want to shoot, this is a great character for you.
4. Hard as Steel – Borderlands 2 has characters that are fast, strong, and accurate. But only one character in the game has insane durability. The aptly named Brawn skill tree makes Salvador nigh invulnerable. Durability isn’t a particularly popular trait in first person shooters, as the low popularity of the heavy in Team Fortress 2 reveals. But for those who do enjoy it, there isn’t a better choice of characters in the game.
3. Movie References – Sometimes mechanics are what draw you to a character and sometimes it is just pure flavor. If you are a fan of classic and cult movies alike, Salvador the Gunzerker is your man. About half the skills in his skill trees are named based on references to movies. Most people will recognize references to Die Hard and Dirty Harry, but only the true movie lovers will recognize the references to They Live or Big Trouble in Little China. It is a deliciously sinful set of references, fun for any movie lover.
2. Two Guns – Salvador is the only character in Borderlands 2 that can wield two weapons at the same time. While this doesn’t actually have a lot of mechanical benefits, it is a blast to run around like Rambo with an assault rifle in one hand and a bazooka in the other. This play style will appeal to the same people who enjoy playing two weapon wielding characters in role playing games. If that is you, this is your character of choice.
1. K.I.S.S. – Sometimes the best play experience is the most basic play experience. The best advantage of Salvador is that nearly all of his skill choice options are really easy and particularly friendly to new players. Characters like Maya and Krieg are particularly complicated, requiring a lot of work to truly make then effective. This character is basically just a “fire and forget” type of character and that can have its appeal. If you want to just sit back and enjoy the experience with minimal effort, Salvador is the best character for the job.