Borderlands 2 has six playable characters each with unique skills and play styles. There are no good or bad characters, but some characters will appeal more than others, depending on your preferred play style or even aesthetic style. Maya, in particular, stands out as a character that you will either love or hate, with very little likelihood of falling anywhere in the middle. She has a very specific and unique play style that demands a certain personality or game play preference. Because of this, you should definitely do your research before choosing her. The following are the top five reasons to play as Maya the Siren in Borderlands 2.
5. Crowd Control – Every character in Borderlands 2 has a modicum of crowd control, but Maya is the undisputed master of it. She exhibits both soft control with elemental effects and hard control with her Phaselock power. Most player prefer simply dealing damage, but there are a select few who like the subtly of dictating the flow of a battle. If you are that type of player, this is your type of character.
4. Action, Action, Action! – Every single character in the game has an action skill and they all work differently. Many are used and then continue to function for a long time, like the action skill of Gaige the Mechromancer. Maya the Siren has a very different action skill. Her skill recharges every 13 seconds and requires constant activation. It is essentially like having a second gun that you can use on reasonably regular basis. If you would rather be proactive with your use of your action skill, rather than reactive or passive, this is the character you should choose.
3. Fan of Back Story – Do you like epic stories and characters with a history? If so, forget Krieg or Zero. You will barely even learn their names during the game. But, if you play as Maya, you will have the chance to learn about a very intriguing and heavily detailed back story. From the start of the game you have an ECHO recording in your inventory that gives you a primer. You learn more information as you stand idle and Maya talks about the monks she grew up with. Finally, you can find a whole series of ECHO recordings in the Wildlife Exploitation Preserve that expand greatly on the story of her life. She really is the best character if you hunger for background and exposition.
2. Elemental Status Effects – Krieg specializes in fire and Gaige specializes in lightning. Maya has no particular prejudices, though. She loves all of the elemental status effects equally and uses them all. If you think it is fun to electrocute or slag an enemy, you should try doing both at the same time. This is the character to play with if you enjoy watching enemies burn side by side with enemies being electrocuted and corroded.
1. Healer – Without any aplomb, this character is the only healer in the game. Healing is only meaningfully useful in multiplayer, but if you do player multiplayer and have a healing spec, you will be the most popular player around. This is a great way to get invited to boss raids and simply to meet new people. It takes a certain personality to enjoy being the party healer, but if that is you, then Maya the Siren is your character of choice.