We’ve seen them everywhere: in the line at the grocery store; on the counter at the gas station; heck, they’ve even been at the gym! But why are we seeing these energy drinks that have stalked us on a daily basis slowly disappearing from prime shelf-space? The answer is: we’ve wised up. We are tired of putting garbage in our bodies and feeling likewise. We want to feel good. We want sustainable energy. It’s time to dump that energy drink and make room for drinks that make us feel healthy and treat us right.
Companies like Rushmore Essentials, in fruit for more than 75 years, have created an alternative to the quick-fix energy drink and have developed a vitality drink now on the market. Their line-up, spearheaded by REvive, is packed with 21 all-natural superfruits and antioxidants, while leaving out artificial flavors, sugars and caffeine you don’t want or need. Rather than loading their beverages with synthetic chemicals that induce stress and, ultimately, weaken our bodies, RE vitality drinks are made of 100% juice and puree. The natural ingredients offer vitamins and sustainable energy the body needs, while providing it with antioxidants to boost immunity to free radicals.
MonaVie is another big player in the vitality drink category. One of the fastest-growing companies in the world, they have patented a special blend of drinks that highlight the acai berry: a berry rich in nutrients that comes from the rainforests of Brazil. Their products boast powerful antioxidants, proven to improve joint, heart and immune health.
If you’re a coffee-addict, you might try switching to green tea. While green tea and coffee both have caffeine, coffee has a significantly greater amount, per cup. However, with any caffeinated beverage, there is a risk of addiction. Green tea, however, also offers many health benefits, including improved mental clarity and performance, as well as decreased risk of heart disease and cancer.
Now that you know you have options, here are five more reasons to drop that old energy drink and pick up a beverage that brings more vitality to your life:
1. It’s so in right now! Our culture has seen an increase in demand for farm-to-table foods and “clean eating” (replacing processed foods with fresh, natural foods). If you’ve already jumped on this bandwagon, the RE (www.drinkRE.com) lineup of drinks may be the option for you. Their relationships with farmers and growers allow consumers to enjoy a direct-from-the-source supply of quality ingredients not found in other drinks. The nutrient-rich drinks like RE and MonaVie can already be found online and at your favorite retailers (Whole Foods, The Vitamin Shoppe, and more). Just look on the shelves where those energy drinks used to be.
If you want to take it a step further, making your own juice drinks at home is another option. Buying fresh ingredients from your local farmers market and juicing them in your own kitchen requires a little more time and effort, but it’s a great way to keep chemicals and preservatives out of your food. Juicers can be found for purchase in department stores, or online, and costs can vary between $30 and $400.
This recent movement of eating “clean” and quality-assurance in knowing where our food comes from is a trend that’s sure to stick around… unlike parachute pants.
2. Those quick-fixes don’t last. Most energy drinks on the market today are full of cheap, synthetic ingredients, designed to induce a temporary high. The caffeine in energy drinks isn’t even currently regulated by the FDA. The unknown amounts of caffeine, coupled with the known, massive amounts of sugar in those drinks, create a quick, adrenaline boost. Then, they dump you after a few hours (like your loser-ex), leaving you feeling empty and weak. Switching to a healthy vitality drink made with high-quality, natural ingredients offers long-term benefits and doesn’t leave you with that “crash” feeling.
3. Energy drinks make you look old. The stimulants in most energy drinks induce stress in the body, thereby weakening and prematurely aging it, by depleting it of vital nutrients. When consumed regularly, antioxidants and natural nutrients help protect your body from free radicals (cell-damaging agents that cause premature aging), while providing strength and enrichment that lasts. The result is: more energy, better health and a happier you!
4. Energy drinks are packed with sugar. One of the reasons energy drinks make you feel like you’ve gotten a “boost” when you consume them is because they are packed with sugar. A 16 oz. can of Red Bull has as much sugar as 11 Oreo cookies. These sweet-tasting energy drinks appeal to kids, who enjoy the sugary flavors, and over consume the caffeine and chemical-packed drinks. Thus, we’ve seen an increase in the dangerous side effects among kids, age 18 and under, including: heart palpitations, headaches/migraines, respiratory distress and insomnia.
5. You don’t get a replacement body if this one breaks. If you put bad fuel in a car, it stops working. The same goes for the human body. Putting sugary, chemical-doused energy drinks in your body is like putting sugar in your car’s gas tank. It will stop working. We don’t, as of yet, have an unlimited supply of replacement bodies (or jet-packs, like we were promised), should the one we have wear out. The best-known energy drinks on the market contain levels of caffeine and toxins that, when consumed in large quantities, have proven to cause a variety of adverse effects, including: high blood pressure, premature birth, insomnia, headaches, and, possibly, sudden death.
So, if you’re tired (literally) of that old energy drink leaving you feeling empty and weak, start up a love affair with a vitality drink that will stick around for the long-haul and leave you feeling strong and alive. You’ll soon forget all the nights you wasted with that tired, good-for-nothing energy drink. Believe me, you’re worth it.