Writing a blog can be a rewarding and fun experience, but to attract more than just your family and friends you will have to write more than just an online journal. Here are some tips to help you start a successful blog.
1. Choose a Blog Site: There are many blog sites that you can choose from and each have their own advantages and disadvantages. You will want to research each site before signing up to make sure it fits your style. Some sites allow more customization than others. You can even purchase templates to make your blog more official looking. Check out sites such as Blogspot, WordPress, and Blog.
2. Be Specific: You will want to find a specific topic to write about or a small list of topics your blog will stick to. Being more specific helps you to stay focused on what you need to write and allows you to build a core audience. Organize your blog with categories or tags so that readers can easily access information that they want to read more about. Being specific helps to keep you focused and on task.
3. Find Your Audience: Identifying your audience is a good way to increase readership to your blog. Once you know what your topics will be on your blog, it will be easier to locate readers for it who are interested in the area you have chosen to blog about. Join forums that are related to your blog topic. For example, if your blog is about healthy eating, joining forums specifically about health or food will help you become a part of an online community and can eventually help draw in subscribers to your blog.
4. Blog Everyday: Posting a new blog everyday is an important way to improve your writing skills, keep people interested, and connect with your readers. Lack of a blogging schedule can cause people to become disinterested by either lack of new material or unpredictable posts. Readers like consistency.
5. Get Connected: You may want to consider linking up to other forms of social media such as Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram to make you blog more accessible and to draw in fans of those social networks. Linking your blog to these sites makes it easier for people to get updates, see pictures, and become interested in subscribing to your blog.