You can eliminate gluten from your dessert without sacrificing flavor. There are many recipes that you can follow to prepare a satisfying desert that is gluten-free . Below are three gluten-free recipes that you can follow to prepare fabulous dessert.
- Gluten-free sugar cookie dough (make dairy-free dough for a dairy-free diet)
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 different food colorings
- Colored gluten-free sprinkles (optional)
- Make one recipe of your favorite sugar cookie dough. Preheat oven according to cookie dough instructions.
- Spray a baking sheet lightly with nonstick spray.
- Roll out the cookie dough, ½ inch thick. Cut with cookie cutters, and then carefully place cookies on the baking sheet.
- Place an egg yolk in each of three small cups. Add 1 tablespoon of water to each cup. Using a fork, mix the water and egg yolk in each cup.
- Add a drop of food coloring to each cup; stir to blend.
- With a thin, clean paintbrush, use the colored egg yolks to “paint” the top of the cookies, making beautiful designs and pictures. Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with colored sprinkles if you are using them.
- Bake your creations following the cookie recipe directions.
Makes 3 (¹⁄₅-cup) servings of “paint”
Rocky Road Bars
- ½ cup butter (use dairy-free margarine for dairy-free diets)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups gluten-free flour mixture
- 1 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows (Sweet & Sara brand marshmallows are gluten- and dairy-free)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9″x13″ baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Put the butter in a glass measuring cup. Place it in the microwave on full power for 20 seconds or until the butter has melted.
- Put the melted butter, peanut butter, granulated and brown sugars, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl and stir together.
- Stir in the flour mixture until well combined. Press the dough into the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the hot pan from the oven. Sprinkle the peanuts over the crust, then the chocolate pieces, and finally the marshmallows.
- Put the pan back in the oven to bake for another 8 to 10 minutes, until marshmallows puff and get browned slightly. Cut after it cools thoroughly. Cut into 3″x 2″ bars.
Makes 18 (3″ x2″) bars.
- 1 cup butter, melted (use stick dairy-free margarine for dairy-free diets)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups gluten-free flour mixture
- ¾ cup finely chopped dark chocolate
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9″x 13″ baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Put the butter, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Mix with a whisk until smooth.
- Using a rubber spatula stir the flour mixture until it is completely blended.
- Spread the dough on the bottom of the baking pan and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and set it on a cooling rack, on top of the stove, on a cutting board, or on pot holders. Sprinkle the chocolate pieces on top of the dough and bake for another 2 minutes.
- Using the back of a small spoon, spread the melted chocolate pieces to form an even coating on top.
- Sprinkle the nuts on top of the chocolate. Cool before cutting into 30 bars.
Makes 30 (3″x 1″) bars
Gluten-free diet: What’s allowed, what’s not