Chapter 5. Domestic Life
41. Home life lives, on depends the three,
Good to do, lasting help.
He that leads a domestic life is a lasting help to do good to the three (that is to say parents, siblings, and children) that depends on him.
42. To austere, hungry, and dead men
Householder is a help.
He that leads a domestic life is a help to the austere, the hungry, and the dead.
43. The old, the borne, guests, kin, and self ─
The five. Do good. ‘Tis prime.
It is most important to him that leads a domestic life to do good to the five namely the elderly, the borne, guests, kin, and one’s own family.
44. Sin fears and shares food. In life,
Issue lacks ever not.
In life he that fears sinning and shares his food never lacks children.
45. Kindness and goodness is home life.
Trait and reward is it.
If home life possesses kindness and goodness then it is its trait and reward.
46. Good does. Home life does. Other ways
Goes about and gets what.
If you were to lead a domestic life do good but by going about other ways what do you get?
47. Befittingly home life lives which
Endeavors above all.
He that lives a domestic life befittingly endeavors above all to do good.
48. Right way leads gone astray home life.
The will ascetics have.
Home life has the will of ascetics as it leads those who have gone astray in the righteous way.
49. What’s good is but home life. If ’tis
By others blamed not good.
What is virtue is but home life and excellent as well if it is not blamed by others.
50. On earth life lives right heaven dwell
Deities amongst placed.
He that lives life befittingly on earth will be placed amongst gods that dwell in heaven.