Chapter 8. The Possession of Love
71. To love is there a bar? Loves which,
A tear from, makes known!
Is there a bolt to shut in love? A tear, from the one which loves, makes known the love.
72. Love lack for themselves, the loving
Are always for others.
They that lack love are for themselves, but the loving are always for others.
73. To love tied life, the precious soul
To frame tied forms a bond.
As the precious soul is tied to the body forming a bond, so love ought to be tied to life.
74. Love begets will and it begets
Friendship, a great honour.
Love begets willingness and willingness begets friendship, a great honour.
75. Love filled life living, in this world,
The cheerful, aiming fame.
Living a love filled life in this world is the fame the cheerful are aiming for.
76. Love aids good deeds say the know not,
To brave deeds, ’tis an aid.
“Love aids charity”, say the ignorant but it also aids bravery.
77. As the boneless, the sun sears
So the loveless, virtue!
As the boneless creatures are seared by the sun so the loveless are by virtue.
78. Love within lacks, life, in rock land,
A dead tree puts forth leaves.
He that lacks love within but seemingly shows love without is like a dead tree in a rocky land that puts forth leaves.
79. Parts out all what do of body,
Part in love does lack which!
What (good) can the outer parts of body do if the inner part of a person does lack love?
80. Love’s way life is. It lacks which
A skin-clad bones body.
Love’s way is life. He that lacks love has a skin-clad bones body.